Chapter 7

Order ye the buckler and shield, and draw near to battle
•••

"Where's Alan! " Stephen shouted over the gun shots. EJ looked around but shook his head, "I can't see him! But he was here a second ago. "
"We should find him before he does something stupid. "
EJ nodded, knowing that Alan had a huge ego and a dream to be a war hero. Not a good combination."
"Greg! " EJ called to one of the soldiers, "Have you seen Alan? "
"Thought I saw him a few minutes back heading towards the front. " Greg replied, indicating ahead of him, where the shots were the loudest. Stephen cursed under his breathe, he should have known Alan would do this. As much as he loved his friend, he would strangle some sense into him, if he caught him. "EJ! " he called, "I'm going to help him. Someone's got to. "
EJ's eyes widened with fear, "No, you can't Steve, it's too dangerous. "

Stephen scoffed and gave a brave smile, "This is war, EJ. Nothing's safe here. "
"I'll come with you. " EJ said grabbing his gun. "No, " Stephen protested, "someone had to stay behind in case he comes back. "
EJ nodded hesitantly, "Alright. I'll wait. "
Heart racing,  Stephen ran forward, jumping across barbed wire and Indy the next trenche. He looked around but knew ,deep down, that Alan would not be there, he'd be where the real action was.
Scanning the area, Stephen once again ran forward, just as he ran a shot fired right beside him. Stephen fell to the ground, momentarily out. Quickly he regained himself and began to crawl. Realization hit that he was no longer in a safety zone. This was the most dangerous battlefield.
'Alan, where are you? ' he asked himself.
Suddenly the area seemed quieter, Stephen immediately sensed something was wrong. Then there were cries all around him, sudden ones.
Senses on full alert, Stephen chocked his gun and held it above the trench, ready to fire. More cries, but no gun shots, at least not there.
A feeling of dread flushed through his body. Traiters.
Sweat was running down his forehead .  There were traiters…
they were being killed by their own and fast. Now was the time to think, but he couldn't. Training didn't prepare him for this, he wasn't ready.
Suddenly he heard gunshots. Three of them. Then something heavy fell onto him.
In a state of shock, Stephen quickly pushed, whatever it was, off him.
Blank eyes stared upwards and his blood was all over Stephen. In the dead man's hand was a knife.  Looking forward, Stephen saw someone he had last expected to see.
"

EJ…you? "

"You're alright, Stephen? " EJ asked running towards him. Stephen took a second to get his bearing then he hugged him, "Thank you."
EJ returned his hug for a second. Then suddenly slumped over. Dead.

Stephen woke up sweating. It was like a memory. He was recalling the war through his dreams. That had all happened, but EJ had not died, not there. And they had found Alan, unharmed.

Stephen didn't try to sleep again. He was afraid the dreams, no, the nightmares would return. So instead he just sat there in the darkness of the room, recalling all he had lost.