Chapter 8: Found?

Start from the beginning

Nothing else matters to me at this time other than making this girl happy, better yet, euphoric. I pull apart and wipe her face gently with my fingertips. There is no glow from her face or sparkle in her eyes, making a wave of desperation wash over me. "I love you," the words roll off my tongue almost perfectly as I stare into her green eyes, meaning every syllable. The coldness returns, however, when she says nothing and just hugs me, burying her face in my chest.

The pang in my heart, the neverending icy cold feeling is unforgettable. I'm absolutely dazed. "Hey," I hear a voice say once the boys appear. April pulls away and wipes her tears before looking at the boys. "You hungry?" Daniel asks, smiling at the girl beside me. She looks very hesitant, but ultimately nods.

Corbyn is smiling a bright smile, much like the rest of them, but I just can't. There is something extremely, terribly wrong with April, that no one is noticing.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

We're all sat, eating the vegetable soup that Jonah made. There is silence the entire time and I can't figure out whether it is comfortable or uncomfortable. April still hasn't touched her food as everyone else is nearly finished. She's sitting next to me, of course, so I whisper discreetly, "I promise Jonah's cooking won't kill you."

She tries to smile at me, but it's obvious there is pain in her face. She just goes back to looking down, not breathing a word to me. After, at least, another ten minutes of silence, April speaks, though, startling us all. "My mom doesn't care, does she?" the brunette girl asks us, her voice fragile and shaky like the rest of her.

Everyone stops eating and gives her sad eyes, including me. "We... haven't been able to... contact her," Corbyn responds carefully because we all know how painful that must be for her. She shows no emotion, though. Like Corbyns words didn't affect her. She just goes back to silence and stirring her soup.

My heart is aching much like before and I feel selfish, but I'm disappointed. I thought April would come back and restore all the light in my life, but it's as if her flame has been blown out. She isn't April.

"We missed you. A lot, April," Daniel speaks softly, staring at the pale girl that we were all lost without.

The thing is that we are still lost. This girl isn't April.

"I... I missed you guys... too," she strains and follows by giving her best fake smile. The guys all look at her, a little disoriented, but awkwardly smile back.

She is not April, I think.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

I sit on my bed, head in my hands as I am angry. Angry at myself for ever letting something bad happen to April. She's currently showering. Jack has gone to get her clothing from her house because she'll be living with us for some time. I think he has to go ask the police for help getting in first, though. A part of me is desperate to know exactly what had happened while she was... there? I know not to push it, however.

"Hey," Daniel says as he walks in and sits next to me. I give him my attention. "We have to bring her into the police station again tomorrow," he continues.

"Why?" I ask stupidly.

"She needs to continue telling them what happened," Daniel explains.

"Does she want to?" I ask instantly.

He's hesitant before saying, "She kind of has to, Zach."

I begin to fiddle with my fingers out of habit, wondering if April is even comfortable with speaking. "Let's not rush into anything," I state and Daniel nods. He walks out, leaving me to my own thoughts once again. I don't keep track of time so the sound of someone entering my room startles me.

"Hi," April says. Her hair is wet, making the light brown color turn to a dark one. The white, fluffy robe she wears is so tightly tied around her waist, I have a little anxiety about it cutting her circulation off.

"Hey," I pat the spot next to me and her eyes widen as she takes a step back. "W-what?" I ask, a little confused towards her actions. She shuts her eyes and takes a deep breath, shaking her head before carefully walking towards me and sitting down. "Umm... we have to take you to the police office tomorrow so you can... well, talk about what happened," I explain slowly. Tears form in her eyes and I grow concerned. "No, April, it's o-" I quickly begin saying and grab her hand to attempt comforting her, but am cut off.

"Don't touch me!" she screams and flinches in terror. I'm in shock, but let go of her hand immediately. She puts her head in her hands and begins whimpering quietly.

And that's when I am completely sure we are all lost.

Not found.

-

PL: august 3, 2018