Twelve: Wolf (Part 1)

CHAPTER TWELVE - Wolf (Part 1)

So apparently Giraffe-Boy disappeared into thin air.

Or he got away, which Emerald was thrilled about. The Barrel was none too happy to find the closet empty.

He stormed out of the room, and stopped in the hallway.

"I'm going to squeeze that Josie Brown like the oozing, puss-filled pimple he is!" he roared, his whole body shaking and trembling with anger.

And then he left, slamming the screen door behind him, and Emerald and Howard with a vague feeling that The Barrel would stop at nothing to find Josie and make an example of him.

Emerald had to find him first.

She headed out into the street to see what was happening or if she could get a clue about where Josie went. The sun was hot and strong, and the day smelled of sea and foamy waves. Her street, usually sleepy and quiet, was throbbing with people.

Rhonda Blathers interviewed Grotty Greg, and a pack of children that formed a posse to look for the dangerous criminal. They played the video of Josie escaping the bathroom and Greg got his pale face right up to the microphone, grabbed it from Rhonda and said in his most firm, resolute voice, "We are going to save the children of Tamarama Street, not the police, not the grown-ups."

The children cheered.

And then Mrs. Kippelibby, in her best pink frock and red lipstick, moved through the crowd of children, parting them like the Red Sea. She moved up behind Grotty Greg, put her ham hock hand on his shoulder and leaned into the the microphone.

"This boy is a hero," Mrs. Kippelibby said, wiping a tear from her eyes and slipping the ball of tissue back up into her sleeve.

"Greg took his life in his hands to capture the video of that monster trying to get away, and now he has formed a band of children to do what the police have not."

Mrs. Kippelibby looked over at The Barrell who was ordering police officers around the neighborhood. He caught a glance at the news crew and the crowd that had formed and his mustache flipped around his nose.

"Greg Umple is going to save us all....that's U-M-P-L-E." she said, jabbing her Bratwurst finger at Rhonda's notebook so she'll get the spelling down correctly.

The crowd cheered, and began shouting his name, "Grotty Greg! Grotty Greg! Grotty Greg!"

Then Rhonda Blathers, with her cameraman Horace, running right behind her, ran across the street to The Barrell, to get his reaction.

"Detective Louden!" Rhonda shouted as she ran toward him.

"How do you feel about losing the alleged killer?"

The Barrell got into his car, rolled up the window and made the hand gesture for no comment. But Rhonda Blathers persisted.

"Detective, have you and the police found any clues of Trinket or Marty?"

"Is it true the police commissioner is asking about your job, that maybe you'll get fired for losing the alleged killer?"

The Barrell, his mustache hopping nervously across his lip, gunned the engine. The black, unmarked police car jolted, then sped off. Rhonda Blathers turned to the camera.

"There you have it folks," she said, her voice smooth and professional. With one hand, she pulled Grotty Greg into the camera frame with her.

"It seems this is even too much for the police departments...the fate of the children of this community rests on the bravery and ambition of this one child."