40. The End of an Era

Start from the beginning

"What's the meaning of this?" he asked flatly.

Abel shrugged. "Just a precaution."

"Whatever he's offering, don't take it!" I warned.

Abel held a hand out to silence me. "Please, Nathaniel. I haven't even stated my offer yet."

"Then speak," Balthazar commanded.

Abel leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. "As you can see, I have in my custody your prodigal son and his lady."

"He led the deposition against me," I protested, less to disparage Balthazar and more to dissuade Abel from whatever he was planning. "You think he cares enough to accept a bargain for my life?"

Abel chuckled. "Ah, but he does care. He cared enough to spare your life and set you free. He cared enough to show up with the cavalry to help rescue you."

"You're wrong," I insisted.

"Ah, but isn't the timing a tad coincidental? After all, he showed up merely hours after someone aboard this vessel attempted to call him," Abel said smugly.

Damn. I'd been worried about Corporal Wilson's call being tracked, but I'd hoped he knew how to avoid it. Our escape mission had been doomed from the start.

My disappointment must've shown on my face because Abel laughed. "You thought you'd be long gone by the time anyone found out, didn't you? How naive."

"Get to the point, Abel," Balthazar said firmly.

"So impatient," Abel tutted. "Very well. What I'm proposing is a trade: their lives, for the destruction of the cure."

"Don't even consider it!" I cut in before Balthazar could reply. I looked down pleadingly at Avery, willing her to understand that I'd find a way to get her out of this. Abel could bargain with my life all he wanted, but he was not going to involve her.

Abel shook his head in amusement. "Look at you — so noble, sacrificing your life to give vampires the opportunity to die of old age. Pick a worthier cause next time and maybe you won't die in vain." He rose from his chair and strode until he stood directly between Balthazar and me. "I intend to get what I want no matter which decision is made. I'm simply offering a courtesy, a way to give both of us something we want without unnecessary bloodshed."

Balthazar looked tired and I couldn't blame him for it. The cure was his dream and the idea of its destruction was unthinkable. If he didn't take Abel's offer and decided to leave me at his mercy, I couldn't blame him.

But what about Avery? I looked down at her. She held my hand limply, her whole body seemingly numb with shock. Her journey should not have to end here, not with freedom having been so close. Not while she was so young... She hadn't had the chance to live a full life.

Balthazar could make the trade. He could give Abel the current samples, take us to safety, then make more in secret. But the creation of it required Daphne. And she might not survive long enough to do so. Who knew if and when there'd be a witch both willing and powerful enough to try again?

"I propose a different trade," I announced.

Abel turned back to me, his expression annoyed but expectant. "And what's that?"

"Balthazar will take his forces and leave, taking Avery with him. I'll stay, and you can do with me what you will. Starve me, torture me, kill me, whatever your twisted heart desires. But leave her out of this."

"Nate, no!" Avery cried out, her face panicked.

Balthazar raised his chin in recognition. I met his gaze solemnly. "Do me this one favor. Please."