Just One Drink

I stand rooted to the spot as I watch my best friend walk towards the heavily-tinted glass front doors of the bar. Ever follows closely behind Lucas and she smiles up at him when he holds the door open for her. They step out onto the sidewalk and stride off into the night. Biting my lower lip, I slowly turn around to face the man waiting patiently behind me.

The Joker's green hair is vibrant even in the dimly lit bar. He grins broadly at me, his scarlet lips starkly contrasting sharply with his white skin. I let my eyes sweep over him briefly. His baby blue shirt is unbuttoned and tucked into pale gray slacks. One thick, twisted gold rope chain winds around his neck and rests against his pale chest. Rather than rolling up the sleeves, he's secured the cuffs around his wrists with gold cuff-links, a huge diamond set into each one. He lifts one white matte leather shoe and, crossing it over his other foot, rests the toe on the sanded wood floor and leans against his purple cane. Three gold rings with big cabochon jewels wink from his fingers as he grips the cane's golden handle. "See anything you like?" he quips.

I meet his eyes and frown at his smug face. "When did you start wearing baby blue?" I ask, stepping forward and lightly touching one side of his lapel. Jay reaches out and lightly places a hand on my waist. He leans in closer, brushing his lips against my neck, and draws in a deep breath behind my ear, right where I'd spritzed my perfume. My breath catches in my throat as he slowly traces one finger down my neck towards my collarbone and moans softly into my ear. "When did you start wearing Black Opium again?" he purrs, shifting back to stand on both feet.

I let my hands go where they want and rest on his hips. "Why do you think it's Black Opium?" I ask quietly, tightening my fingers slightly. Jay chuckles softly into my neck as he draws his fingers through my hair. "Because I bought this perfume for you," he breathes into my ear. He draws back and smiles at me as he looks into my eyes. He traces the backs of his fingers down the side of my neck. "For our third Christmas together." Jay leans in, lightly presses his lips to mine for a heartbeat, then pulls back. He scowls playfully and props the cane against the nearest tall chair. "It took me ages to get that smell out of my bed."

I return the grin which quickly becomes a smirk. "Did you really buy it?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. "Or did you steal it?" Jay's expression hardens instantly and his eyes darken. He lets go of me so suddenly I nearly stumble. "What difference does it make?" he growls, gritting his metal teeth. "It was a gift, Olivia." He frowns. "And don't say you don't like it. You're wearing it now. After all these years, you still wear it."

I nod. "Just because I broke up with you doesn't mean I broke up with Yves Saint Laurent," I counter, crossing my arms. Jay narrows his eyes and gives me a quick, sarcastic sneer. "Sure felt like it when you threw the bottle at my head the night you left," he retorts. I frown. "Yeah, well I was pissed." Jay hangs his head for a second. "I know." That's as close to an apology that I'll ever get from him. I scoff in irritation. "Would it really kill you to apologize?" Jay looks up and grins. "It might." I roll my eyes. "Can we go get that drink now?" he asks abruptly. I notice the way he shifts quickly from one foot to the other. I know him well enough to know that when the Joker gets fidgety, something's bothering him. "What's the rush?" I ask smugly. A thought suddenly occurs to me and I take a step forward, hook my index fingers through his front belt loops, and draw him close. "Getting all...up close and personal with me turning you on, Jay?" I murmur, leaning my hips forward and pressing against the growing bulge in his slacks.

Jay reaches up and cups one side of my jaw with a soft hand. He brushes his thumb back and forth across my lower lip. "Keep it up," he whispers, leaning his forehead against mine, "and I'll bend you over this table and fuck you right here in front of everyone." I'm almost not quick enough to stop myself from demanding he follow through on his threat. Instead, I take a step back and hold up one finger. "One drink, Jay," I tell him firmly. "Just. One." The Joker curls his fingers around my hand, turns it over, and lightly kisses the back. "Yes, ma'am," he murmurs with a faint smirk. He drops my hand and snakes an arm around my waist. "Come on, baby," he says after clearing his throat. "Let's get a spot in the back." I let him lead me towards the bar where he nods to the bartender.

"Hey Tony," he calls as we stroll closer. "Bring us a bottle of your best bourbon and two glasses, will ya? Put it on my tab." He pauses then adds an afterthought. "Put the girls' drinks on my tab, too." Jay turns his head and winks at me. We start to walk again and he slips his hand into the back pocket of my jeans. "Bring my friend some pineapple if you've got any," he adds over his shoulder. Tony nods. "You got it, Mistah Jay." The Joker gives me a smug grin and another wink. "I know how much you like it," he says quietly.

He remembered...I roll my eyes but can't stop myself from smiling. The Joker might be a murderous, raving lunatic, but he's also unbelievably charismatic and charming. Plus he's incredibly hot, damn him. He's barely an inch taller than me, which puts my eyes directly level with his, something that I've found insanely attractive since the moment I met him. Now that I think about it, being with him for so long might've made me a little insane, too.

He presses a hand into my lower back and pushes me gently forward. "Walk in front of me," he urges, sliding his hand down to caress my ass. His fingers trace the outline of one of my back pockets. "I want to watch you walk away in those jeans." His voice is velvet as he purrs into my ear.

A mischievous grin spreads across my face as tingles race up and down my spine. I stand a little straighter, toss my hair, and sashay off, throwing my hips into it. Jay hangs back for a few moments, then quickly follows. I hear his leather shoes coming up behind me and I stop to wait for him. One hand slides into my back pocket and the other slips around my waist. The Joker's fingertips tease across the tiny strip of skin of my lower abdomen between the bottom hem of my tank top and the top edge of my jeans. He leans into me and his lips lightly brush against my neck. I lean back into him and press my ass back towards him. Old habits die very hard.

"I was thinking we might go somewhere a little more private," he whispers, resting his chin on my shoulder. "But we can play right here if that's what you want." I draw away from Jay and he lets his arms drop. I start towards the lounge tucked away in the back of the bar and grin to myself when I hear the Joker's footsteps quickly following me.

He sweeps aside the bead curtain hanging in the doorway that separates the lounge from the bar and holds it back with his outstretched arm. "Ladies first," he says smoothly. I just barely restrain myself from brushing a hand against the front of his pants as I walk past. Jay follows me into the cozy little room and over to the cluster of overstuffed sofas and armchairs.

A trio of angular lampshades perch atop thin, black posts and cast warm circles of light from their panes of ivory glass. The sanded hardwood floor is dark brown and free of the hundreds of scuffs and scratches that blanket the floor on the other side of the wall. It's much quieter in the lounge than in the bar. The cracking sound of pool balls colliding is distant and faint. It's been over a year since I last set foot in this bar, even longer since I've been back to the lounge. The man I was with the last time I was here drags his hand across my lower back as he strides past behind me.

I turn to see the Joker settling onto one of the soft black sofas. He props his right ankle on top of his left knee. I've noticed over the years that all men seem to sit exactly the same way. Jay smiles at me as he drapes his left arm across the back of the sofa. He raises his tattooed hand and flicks two fingers inward, beckoning me to join him.