Distractions

Beginne am Anfang

I turn around to look at my twin, stepping closer to him. "What's going on between you two? Besides Elena. What happened?"

Stefan doesn't reply at first. He just continues staring at the fireplace before he glances at me. "The short version: I went with Klaus on a road trip, you could say, over the summer in return for saving my life. But Klaus's catch was he wanted the Ripper, not me. Then, when we came back to Mystic Falls, I was compelled to kill Elena if Bonnie couldn't find-"

"-the cure to making Klaus's hybrids," I whisper, finishing Stefan's sentence, already knowing this part of the story from gossip chains. "Elena's blood. That's what makes the hybrids." I glance at the ground, remembering the stories I had heard of Klaus's countless murders in his search for a wolf pack, but I guess the murders were Stefan, not Klaus.

I can feel Stefan's eyes on me, watching and searching for something. But I leave my face blank. "I'm gonna go to my room," I mumble, desperate to escape my twin's heated gaze. As I'm about to exit the room, Stefan's voice stops me.

"Do you have feelings for him?"

The question sends a shiver up my spine. I don't look back at Stefan to reply, "Who?"

"Klaus." I bite my lip at the name, memories filling my head. "Because I saw you two together last night. I saw the way he looked at you." Stefan's words make my heart beat faster, but I force myself to remain still.

"No," I answer. "The only feeling I hold for him is hatred."

"Well I'm not sure he feels the same," Stefan says. After hearing his words, I speed walk out of the room, not wanting to here anymore of it. Not wanting to think of Klaus anymore. He may still feel something for me, but whatever we had, whatever I felt so long ago, is gone. And Klaus can go to hell.

...

Apparently Elena had gone missing, causing Stefan and I to go search for her like a lost little puppy. But after awhile we come back to the house, empty-handed. "We can't find her anywhere," Stefan announces as we walk through the foyer after searching for her everywhere. When we walk into the living room, we freeze. Elijah sits in a chair by a fireplace. Damon in front of him.

"Hello, Stefan. Lily," Elijah greets us with a tip of his head.

"He has Elena," Damon states, informing us of the situation.

"Actually, she's with Rebekah " Elijah corrects him. "As you can imagine, my sister is just dying to tear her throat out. So...if you want to save Elena's life, I need you to help me stop my mother."

Damon glares at him, his sarcasm peeking through his words, "I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but when it comes to killing thousand year old resurrected witches, I'm a little rusty."

Yes, unfortunately, even when killed my mother doesn't seem to want to stay dead. Not with the spirits of nature at her side," Elijah says.

"So what do we need to do?" Stefan asks, taking a step forward toward Elijah.

"The witches that released my mother, she's drawing her power from their bloodline, that line needs to be broken," Elijah tells us.

"Broken?" Stefan echos.

"Broken by death," I speak up, catching Elijah's drift. Elijah glances my way and we meet eyes. I stare at him impassively. "That means one of them needs to die."

"You want us to kill them," Stefan clarifies, gaining Elijah's attention back.

"You know I'd do it myself, but I have absolutely no idea where they are. Besides, seeing me, they'd immediately know my intent. They won't expect to be harm by the likes of you," Elijah waves a hand at us, standing up and adjusting his suit coat. "In any case, you have until six minutes after nine to find them."