Chapter 1: Blank Slate

Start from the beginning

I stared up at him, my eyes opened wide.

Losing his patience with me, he pointed me in the direction I needed to take. "Go on now before I lose me patience wit' ye."

Not needing to be told twice, I rushed past him and walked down the adjacent tunnel. I soon found myself standing on the outskirts of a large plaza. I looked left, then right, eyeing the groups of people walking back and forth.

Many of them clutched large satchels full of goods and other merchandise. Some held weapons and other items in their hands. They spoke amongst themselves, all bargaining for better prices.

It soon dawned on me. I'd entered the city's main merchant square.

"You lost?" a soft voice asked.

I turned to find a tall Elven woman towering over me. "Y—Yes."

A look of understanding spread across her light blue-colored features. "First time in Euncara, huh?"

I frowned. The city's name eluded me. I'd forgotten to ask the guard as to where I was.

"I see," she said, dropping onto her knees in front of me. "You've no idea where you are, do you?"

"No. I . . . I don't know how I got here. One minute I was standing on a bridge, and the next I found myself lying on some grass."

She nodded. Her topaz-colored eyes focused on me.

"Don't worry. We'll get you sorted." The Elven held a hand out in front of her in greeting. "I'm Enomendia, one of the city's many guards."

I clasped her hand in mine. "It's nice to meet you."

She smiled and pumped my hand with gusto. "I'm assigned to helping new travelers such as yourself whenever they find themselves here in Euncara. While I don't know what's happened to you, I'm more than willing to take you under my wing. First, though, we'll have to get you registered with the Daredevil's Guild. It's necessary for everyone who comes here to make their way there."

Enomendia pushed herself to her feet. She turned and pointed to an establishment several yards from where we were standing.

"See those stairs?"

I nodded.

"Good. Head on up and step through those double doors. Make your way to the counter at the back of the establishment. A woman named Mimsy will be waiting for you."

A slight frown marred my forehead. "How? I haven't told anyone I've arrived."

The Elven grinned. A knowing light lurked in the depths of her eyes.

"Oh, honey, you really are clueless. Trust me, she already knows you're here. We've eyes and ears all over the city. Don't let that scare you, though. It's a good thing, believe me. We'd be fresh in hell if we didn't have any acknowledgment of what goes on throughout the city. Now, go on. Make your way to Mimsy. She'll take care of you every step of the way," she said.

I sighed and offered her a small smile. "Thanks. I appreciate your help."

Enomendia gazed down at me. "No problem. Whenever you need anything, come find me. I'll help you out with whatever you need."

With that said, she turned and walked away.

Squaring my shoulders, I headed up the stairs and marched through the establishment's double doors. I moved toward the rear of the room, eyeing the counter Enomendia had spoken to me about.

A small woman with pointed ears, auburn hair pulled into two tight buns on either side of her, and friendly red eyes stared back at me. A warm smile spread across her face. She raised a hand and waved.