Chapter 12 - The Tale of Two Wolves

Marcel was in the study of the compound, pouring himself and Elijah a drink.

"It's been a long time since we shared a drink together," Elijah told him.

"You're gonna need it," Marcel replied, drinking.

"I take it Davina didn't bring good news," Elijah said.

"She and Freya have been holed up with spellbooks all week, searching for any last ideas to help Hope and Kenner," Marcel told him. "They're out of options."

Elijah shook his head. "I don't accept that."

"Look, I love those kids," Marcel said. "It's because I love them that I am telling you, there is no miracle fix here. Now they might have had a little more time, but Hope's about to experience her first full moon since she triggered her curse. Every witch that we consulted is sure that she won't survive the night."

"We will speak with Freya, she will perform a binding spell," Elijah told him. "That's the solution."

"A spell that powerful will only kill her faster," Marcel replied. "This is terminal, Elijah. Look, we can't keep this a secret from them any longer."

~*~*~

Klaus was sitting in Kenner's room, watching him sleep.

Marcel: (voiceover) "They need to have the chance to say goodbye. And we both know who needs to tell them."

Klaus turned his head to listen to Elijah and Marcel's conversation.

"He won't accept it," Elijah said.

"Make him," Marcel told him. "They're dying, Elijah."

Klaus looked at Kenner before leaving the room.

~*~*~

Klaus walked past Elijah, who had been waiting for him.

"Niklaus," Elijah said.

"Get in the car," Klaus told him. "You and I are taking Hope and Kenner on a little trip."

"Are you out of your mind?" Elijah asked.

"They can sleep on the drive," Klaus answered.

"Surely you heard Marcel," Elijah told him.

"He doesn't know anything," Klaus replied.

"Where are we going?" Elijah asked.

"Hope's school knows how to deal with a werewolf's first transformation," Klaus asked. "They have a facility."

"Mystic Falls?" Elijah asked. "I take it you have a plan."

Klaus looked at him. "I do. And while I execute it, I need you to look after my children, to--to make sure they don't exert themselves."

"Wouldn't it be better for you to find someone who Hope and Kenner despise a little less than me?" Elijah asked. "Perhaps quite literally anyone else they've ever met."

"How they feel about you is of no consequence," Klaus told him. "I have til the crest of the full moon to save my daughter's life. We've denied the inevitable for a dozen lifetimes, I am not about to surrender to it now. Take Hayley, if you must. Please, Elijah. You're the only one I trust."

Elijah looked at Klaus.

~*~*~