Chapter 9 - We Have Not Long To Love

Klaus, Freya, Hope and Kenner were having breakfast together in the dining room of the compound.

"The curse that plagued our family for seven years has taken its toll on all of us," Klaus said. "On our city. Our home. On our family. Consequences of us being together were grave, but today . . ." He looked at Hope and Kenner. "Thanks to you two, we celebrate a new beginning. One in which we have the freedom to stand side-by-side and whatever trials may come, we'll face them together. As a family." Klaus raised his glass. "Always and forever."

Freya, Hope and Kenner raised their glasses as well. Then they all had a drink.

Kenner looked at Freya. "Would you please pass the beignets?"

"Of course," Freya said, handing over the tray.

"So, Rebekah will be back in a few days," Klaus told them. Hope and Kenner grabbed a beignet. "She's just tying up some loose ends overseas."

"It'll be nice to have her here," Hope said.

"It'd be good to have all of us under one roof again," Freya added.

Elijah walked in.

Klaus, Hope and Kenner looked at him.

Elijah looked at his niece and nephew. "Good morning." Hope and Kenner looked away, Klaus looked down. "Obviously. there's a lot for us to discuss. Hope, Kenner, let me begin by telling you how truly sorry--"

Kenner stared at his fork, angrily and it started to bend.

Hope noticed. "Thanks for breakfast, guys, but we have homework to catch up on. Come on, Kenner."

Hope and Kenner stood, leaving the room.

Klaus watched them go before looking at Kenner's bent fork. "That's not normal. They'll not normal."

"They lost their mother, Niklaus," Elijah told him. "I shouldn't have come down here."

"Well, at least you can claim amnesia," Klaus replied. "Unlike our sister, who willingly aided two children in ruining their lives."

"Hope is not a child," Freya said.

"Kenner is," Klaus told her. "Did you even consider what absorbing all that magic could do to them?"

"And what choice did I have?" Freya asked.

"Deny them," Klaus answered. "Defy them. We had a plan to keep the dark magic away from them."

"A plan that wasn't working," Freya told him.

"Yeah, well, thanks to you, the magic has them now," Klaus said. "So, if my son and daughter should be harmed in any way, shape or form, I will hold you personally responsible."

Klaus stood and walked away, angrily.

~*~*~

Emmett and the purist vampires had delivered a notice to the factions.

Lisina, Hayley and Keelin were walking through the Quarter, reading it.

"'We are deeply disturbed by the increased violence in New Orleans'," Hayley read. "'There was a time not long ago when the species coexisted because there was order in the city. Boundaries. Everyone knew their place. In an effort to restore stability, the vampires reclaim the French Quarter as their rightful home'."

Hayley screwed up the notice and threw it to the ground.

Keelin shook her head. "Blah, blah, blah."