Chapter 4

Roe's drawing of Ember is above ^^^
Another 2 pictures of Ember are above as well^^^

I once heard that the national flower of Japan, Cherry Blossom, symbolized renewal and hope. Yet, as I gazed at the intricate flowers, I felt nothing of the sort.

It was hotter than most days on a Saturday morning, which was unusual for my usually chilly state of Minnesota. I lay slumped up against the breathtaking Cherry Blossom Tree in exhaustion. After my tiring first week back to school, I was eager for a break, so I went to where I always went when life got tough: I went to the park.

I've never quite known what it was about Rosé Blair Park that calmed me down so much. Maybe it was the innocent-like Cherry Blossom trees. The way the blush-colored flowers swayed in the breeze, as if nothing could ever bring them down. And each time a thunderstorm hit, wrecking and demolishing them, they bloomed right back up in the spring.

My fingers ran through the green grass, and I grinned as it prickled my bare feet.

I gazed at the people passing by with a small smile grazing my lips. The fact that each person here held their own story has always made me smile. And the idea that not every little boy and girl here would have to grow up the way I did has always appeased to me. They won't ever have to push away the people who got too close in order to keep them safe. They'll have a parent to walk down the aisle with and a house to share with their family, not with a bunch of orphans.

A little girl with blonde hair in French braids, looking to be about 6 or 7 years old, grinned at her dad, her eyes dazzling as her father walked them over to the vendor selling ice cream. I frowned slightly as a memory of my father twirling me around in his arms over 8 years ago in this very park, grins gracing both our faces, flashed in my head. I shook my head slightly, brushing off my nostalgic memory.

An old couple passed by, their hands interlocked with one another's, as a golden retriever raced to catch the frisbee thrown its way.

As I turned my head, I caught sight of a teenage boy and girl. The girl animatedly moved her hands in front of her as she talked about something she was seemingly passionate about. The boy grinned back at her, his eyes holding nothing but love for the dorky girl who stood by his side. I grinned at the sight, before glancing at the chirping birds above me. I hugged my knees to my chest, my chin resting upon them.

As I glanced across from me, I spotted a boy sitting against the abutting tree. I could hardly see the dark-haired boy's face, due to a large sketchbook covering half of his face, but he seemed to be intensely drawing. The boy lifted his head, glancing at me, before looking back down to his pad.

My eyes lit with recognition, as the boy's identity belonged to Roe from my poetry class. We haven't talked much, aside from when he asked me for a pencil on Thursday. Ever since I saw him on Monday morning, I've been intrigued. Throughout the class, I've found my eyes straying to his handsome features before his green eyes met mine, his face holding a small smile and a quirked eyebrow. I'd blush and look away in embarrassment, the same routine repeating throughout the week.

As I sat against the tree, blushing slightly, Roe would glance at me every few seconds before looking back down at his sketchbook and continuing to draw. My curiosity peaked.

Was he drawing me?

I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to figure out whether it was my imagination or not.

"It's your hair."

I looked up to Roe in confusion. "Um, excuse me?" I sputtered.

"It's your hair. You have nice hair. It's why I'm drawing you. That's why you're staring, right?" Roe murmured.