Chapter Eight: Worrisome

Start from the beginning

Joohae stood up too, just staring at me. "But... he's not your brother." She reasoned, quietly. She picked up her things. "And getting jealous over a friend and over a guy interacting with another girl are completely different things."

I had no retort to that. No witticism, no argument, not even a word. So, backing off, I waved my hand, smiling awkwardly, "Let's... let's change the subject. This is... uncomfortable."

Joohae measured my expression for a moment, then smiled. "Okay." And with that, she was back to her usual, jokey self.

We locked up the gym and returned the keys to the lone teacher in the staff room, then left the school grounds. At the train station, Joohae and I parted ways, and I was left without distraction from my thoughts.

But... he's not your brother...

Shaking my head, I frowned. There was no way.

The train was quiet, the usual bulk of passengers having gone home on a much earlier train than this. It was far past dinnertime, and I realised abruptly that I hadn't actually let anyone know. Time had gotten away from me.

Reluctantly, I rifled through my bag for my phone, seeing a mountain of texts and missed calls. Sweating, I dialled the number, flinching at the shriek that crackled out of my phone's speaker.

"YA! OH JU-EUN! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING TO MAKE ME WORRY LIKE THIS?!" I grimaced at the static that the loud volume had caused, holding my phone away from my ear.

"Oppa... not so loud, you're going to deafen me..." I replied quietly. I could practically feel his rage.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was? Do you?" Jin seethed, but kept his voice at a lower volume this time, "How many times I called you? Don't you think I have anything better to do?!"

I winced, guilt washing over me. "I'm sorry, oppa... I was in practice and it slipped my mind... I meant to call and let you know..."

There was a moment of silence, and then a heavy sigh. "Ya. You know you're going to give me a heart attack one day, right? I was this close to calling your school."

I giggled a little, softly. "I'm really sorry. I was just..." my thoughts drifted back to my conversation with Joohae. "I got absorbed in practice."

Another pause. "Well. Next time, remember to call me. Or I'll end up doing something crazy. Like driving to your school and putting up missing persons posters."

I laughed a little more. "That would be a severe overreaction, Oppa." I grinned to myself, "You're so overprotective."

"With a worrisome girl like you I have to be." He grumbled, "It's my job to look after you, after all."

Something in me deflated at that. That's right. I was... work. Shaking my head again, I cleared that thought from my head. Delusions of grandeur. "Well, I'm nearly home, so you can relax. I'm almost at my stop."

"Ah, really? It's getting late, I'll come pick you up." I flinched,

"It's not far, you don't have to-"

"Yes, I do. As if I'd let a young girl like you walk around the streets on your own at night!" He said firmly, in a voice that left no room for argument. I sighed, but smiled, spirits lifted, ever so slightly.

"Okay. Thanks."

"No problem. Wait somewhere well lit until I get there."

"Will do. See you in a little while." I could hear some rattling and moving around. No doubt he was then leaving.

"See you, Ju-eunnie."

His face was welcoming as always as he leaned across the passenger side of his car, the window open. "Hurry up, Oh Ju-eun! I don't want to let all the cool air out!"

I quickly hopped into the car and shut the door, rolling up the window. He wasn't wrong; it was lovely and cool inside the car. I noticed his attire and rose my eyebrows, "Did you go to that marriage meeting today?"

He was in suit and tie again, except even more formal. He had an unbuttoned waistcoat on. It looked good. He pinkened slightly, hands firmly on the steering wheel, "No. I had a family dinner, and meant to get changed after, but..."

I felt a little guilty at that, but at the same time, amused. And flattered. "You were that worried? I was only a few hours late home!"

He pulled a face. "You weren't replying to my calls or texts. And Taehyungie had no idea where you were, either-"

"You called Taehyung?! Why do you even have his number?!" I asked, incredulously, "No, most importantly- what made you think he would know? We don't even go to the same school!"

"Well." He looked ever more uncomfortable. "He may have... gone out to look for you..."

I slapped a palm to my face. "Both of you are idiots."

"Ya!" He protested, defensive, "You're the one in the wrong here for not calling!"

I laughed sheepishly. "Yeah. I'm really, really, super duper sorry, Seokjinnie."

He gave me a brief, sideways glance before focusing back on driving. "It's okay. Just don't forget again."

I smiled, warmly, my insides squeezing. "I won't."

- - -

Welp. I planned to write half tonight and then finish tomorrow, but. A whole chapter. Two in one night. Woo