Chapter 4 - A rather large misunderstanding

A/N: Arrgh! This chapter hurt so much to write! Oh, the angst! T_T

Anything in italics should be in Kudzul, but is written in English for your convenience.

Quick reminder: at this point in the story you do not know that Legolas is the prince of Mirkwood, or that his father is Thranduil.

Every evening you slipped away from the fellowship to brush your hair. It was annoyingly stressful, as you were constantly paranoid that someone would creep up on you and discover that you were an elf.

It seemed that this evening you were out of luck. You could hear the footsteps of someone behind you.

Without thinking, you turned around and flung your comb.

Legolas dodged it.

You stared at him for a second. He stared back at you.

"You're an ... elf?" he asked, slowly, blinking in surprise.

You glared at him. "Unfortunately,"

"Unfortunately?  What do you mean unfortunately? This is.. this brilliant!" he exclaimed, a smile forming on his face.

"No. No it's not brilliant. You can't tell anyone," you replied. Why did it have to be him? Why Legolas? Why the only other elf here? He was the least likely to understand.

"What? Why not?" he asked, smile fading.

"Because..." You looked at the floor and held an arm around your middle. "I... I want everyone to think that I'm human,"

"What's the point in that? Being an elf is wonderful!" Legolas replied.

"You wouldn't understand," you muttered, still not meeting his eyes.

"Then tell me, why would you hide what you are?" he asked, taking a step towards you. "I know that elves can be poorly treated in some parts of middle earth, but our friends would not think any less of you, trust me."

"That's not why!" you angrily exclaimed, finally looking up at him, and taking an angry step back. "It's all because of that pig-headed Thranduil!"

"Thranduil? What did he do?" Legolas asked, looking surprised.

"None of your business," you said.

"I'm sure it can't have been that bad," Legolas ventured.

"Thranduil can go and drown in a muddy pond. And take his family with him. I hate the lot of them. Especially his stupid son," you said angrily.

Legolas suddenly looked hurt. "If that's how you feel I won't bother you anymore," he mumbled, before turning around and storming off.

...

Legolas would not talk to you. At all. He would barely even look at you. It had been three days. Surely that was enough time to get over it?

He probably had some elvish pride thing that made him loyal to the king. Stupid really. He had probably never even met the king of Mirkwood. Perhaps you should apologise though? No! You stamped out that thought as soon is it came to you. You had every right to hate Thranduil and his kin.

A few more days passed, and eventually Aragorn asked you why you and Legolas were no longer talking.

"Because he's a proud elf who can't admit that any of his kind have ever made any mistakes," was your grumpy reply.

Aragorn gave you a funny look. "That doesn't sound like Legolas... Are you sure that this isn't all one big misunderstanding?" he ventured.

You sheepishly rubbed the back of your head. "I may have insulted the king of Mirkwood,"