Chapter 1 - When you meet

A/n: Welcome to my 2nd edition of "Legolas x reader"! This is not a sequel, merely a rewrite of my original story. You do not need to have read the original story to understand this one.

Also thank you to my amazing beta reader, Tiana!

Welcome back to all of my old readers!

You are an elf.

...

Torch, your oversized phoenix, squawked in protest. You were trying to give him a bath. Being a fire bird, he was not happy.

"Come on Torch," you pleaded, "a little water never hurt anyone,"

He head-butted you and knocked you over. At least the ground was somewhat soft, mostly consisting of damp moss.

You rolled your eyes. "Well if you want to go around smelling like you belong to a pig farmer..."

As if to prove that he didn't care, Torch shook himself, flinging water all over you.

As you spluttered, and wiped the water out of your eyes, Torch suddenly stilled. Something had caught his eye. He crouched for a moment before tearing up into the air, knocking over the tub of water. Your shoes were now soaked as well as the rest of your clothes. Wonderful.

"Torch, spit that poor creature out this minute! " you said, standing up. You were trying to train him not to catch wildlife. It wasn't as if you didn't feed him enough.

Dejectedly, Torch came back down and spat the little creature he had caught into your awaiting hands.

You carefully stroked it. It was in fact a large grey moth.

To your surprise, it flew up to your ear and started whispering in elvish.

"Gandalf is in need of aid," it said, "he's trapped on top of Isengard,"

You felt dread starting to build up. Gandalf hardly ever needed help. After all, he was a powerful wizard. On top of that, Saruman would be at Isengard with him. What was strong enough to put two great wizards in danger?

Unless... You had thought something was wrong with Saruman ever since the whole deal with the Necromancer. He had been acting so strangely, ignoring any potential problem that came up. Orcs? Probably nothing to worry about. More attacks in the last few years than the last few decades put together? Probably just bad luck. It was so unlike Saruman. He had been, and always would be, a planner. He was manipulative and sometimes had questionable intentions, but he wasn't stupid. Surely, he could see the signs that something was very wrong in middle earth? Surely, he had felt the return of Sauron? Saruman was not one to ignore a threat.

Unless he had been misleading you.

The thought caught you by surprise; you had known Saruman since you were kids. He wasn't a nice person, sure, but he wasn't evil. Surely, he couldn't have turned?

In any case, Gandalf needed your help, whether Saruman had turned or not. You would know soon enough anyway.

You ran into your little cottage and grabbed your bow, twin swords, and your backpack of supplies. It was lucky that you had been planning on going on a hunting trip tomorrow and that you had everything you could possibly need already with you, including healing potions.

The one thing that you did not have were arrows. This was simply because you didn't need them. Your bow was enchanted; it could never run out of arrows or break. You had even carved the names of those you loved (platonically or otherwise) into it so that you would never forget them.

Before you left, you pinned back the sides of your hair so that it hid the top of your ears, and you could pass for a human. It had become a habit of yours ever since you had had a... disagreement with some elves. Even though Gandalf was one of the few who knew what you were, you weren't taking any chances. Who knew who you might meet?