Running Late For the Date

It had taken me two hours to get ready for my date with Harry. An hour and a half had been spent sitting on my bedroom floor, wrapped in a towel, panicking about my fast approaching evening. Elenore had come in not long after, taken in my appearance and grumbled that I hadn't given her much time to work with. I'd been dragged over to my wardrobe, forced into an outfit and manhandled over to my dressing table. If it wasn't for the fact that Elenore had been wearing makeup since the age of eleven then I wouldn't have let her anywhere near my face. On the other hand, her makeup based plans hadn't won her any dates with Niall yet.

Somehow, in the space of a mere thirty minutes, she had me looking like someone who was going on a date. As opposed to a twenty year old mother who had spent all day on her knees scrubbing crayon off the skirting boards. I had to give it to Ele, she was pretty good.

"You look gorgeous, if I do say so myself." She smiled smugly and smoothed my outfit. I'd ended up in a jade dress, the kind that clung to you in all the right places. It was shorter than I would have selected myself, but Elenore had found it in the back of my wardrobe from my clubbing days and demanded that it was resurrected. Not to mention there hadn't been enough time to argue anyway. 

"Thanks, Ele." I told her, gripping the hem of my dress so tightly that I thought I was going to tear the material. "I'm not sure what I would have looked like if you hadn't come in here."

"Well, trust you to have a nervous breakdown and only leave yourself half an hour in which to get ready. To be honest I thought you have having another one of those panic attacks you told me about." She stepped forward and prized my fingers off of the bottom of the dress.

"That was just a one off." I told her quietly, turning to stare at my reflection. She'd done a good job with the make up too. It was simple and yet still so much more than I would have put on. My hair hung in loose waves around my face, a more refined version than how it sat naturally. 

"Well here's hoping you don't have one tonight. We don't want Harry thinking you're a total fruit loop." She studied my face for a moment. "Just relax, remember to breathe and have fun. Oh, and don't over analyse every little thing that happens. We don't want him thinking you're one of those girls." 

"What girls?" My voice went up an octave as I stared at her in disbelief. 

"You know, those girls. The ones who make a big deal out of the tiniest bullshit. That's a big turn off for a guy." Ele spoke as if she was Harry's brain itself, before tidying away the unsuccessful outfits that we'd flung across the room. I knew that I was a worrier, but whether I was an over analyser and therefore one of those girls, I had no idea. 

"I'm not sure this pep talk is making me feel much better, Ele." I gulped, clutching my stomach as it churned. The idea of being a big turn off for Harry had me on edge and now I was going to spend all evening over-analysing whether I was over-analysing everything. 

There was a knock on the door of our flat and I froze, staring at Elenore with wide, panicked eyes. She bit her lip before bursting into laughter. "Oh, Marnie, you've really got to get back in the game." 

"Sure." I swiped my bag and jacket off my bed before hurtling into the lounge. My heart thudded erratically in my chest knowing that Harry was just on the other side of the door, no doubt looking totally gorgeous and totally relaxed about our evening together.

Nola looked shocked when I walked through the middle of her game, dressed in an outfit she'd never seen before. Her teddy landed with a thump on the carpet as she stared at me, open mouthed and blinking rapidly. I noted how her eyebrows mashed together in confusion while I stumbled towards the front door in Elenore's heels, desperately trying not to trip over anything. The date was only moment's away. Harry was only moments away.