Take A Step Back Into History

By the time Bucky and Steve had finished discussing the matters of Hydra and their discreet restoration, it was late into the night but not quite twelve. Steve and Bucky were both tired, you could see it on their faaces. The only thing out there with truly enough energy were the bright, blinking stars layed out upon the dark sky.

"I has to be getting late by now." Steve managed to reach a tired arm above his head, rubbing his neck.

"Yeah. I have to go anyway." Bucky nodded, striding to the door.

"You have a place to stay right, Buck?"

Bucky hung his head low for a second before turning around.  He'd hoped to find a place decent enough for living. But for now, a little white lie couldn't hurt. "Yeah. I do."

The door opened, closed and Steve decided to retire for the night. He'd reached his bedroom door until he was disturbed once again. For another time, Steve hobbled over to the door and opened it.

"Hi Steve."

Automatically Steve felt more energy flood through him. "Hey, Rebekah."

"I'm sorry it's late, but I got to thinking. Would you- I mean you don't have to. But I was wondering if maybe you'd like to.."

Stopping Rebekah's repeating partial sentences, Steve interjected. "I'd love to."

For a moment she was stunned and quite honestly surprised with Steve's sudden answer. When Agent Grey was assigned by Director Fury to watch and protect Steve she'd known it would be hard to resist him. She'd told herself many a time that she wouldn't give in, that she wouldn't make a move. But, not that he'd accepted, she knew it was alright.

"Great." Agent Grey smiled. "Tomorrow afternoon. How about coffee?"

Steve nodded. "It's a date then."

"Okay. Yeah. See you then."

With that, Rebekah turned to across the hall and went into her new apartment while Steve calmly stared after her. It was going to be his first date in a little over seventy years.

~ ~ ~

Staring at himself in the mirror, almost every nerve ending in Steve's body was twitching. His chest was caving in with anxiety and his hands were shaky.

Casual. Just be casual. It's just your first date since ever. You can do this. You're Captain America.

Grabbing his phone from the edge of his bed, Steve walked out of his room, his apartment and went across to Rebekah's. As he reached his arm up to knock, Agent Grey opened the door.

"Hi." Steve smiled, lowering his arm.

"Hey," Rebekah returned the smile, leaning against her door.

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

Same here. Steve thought nervously.

Agent Rebekah Grey and Captain America walked down the streets all the way to Starbucks; a like they both shared. For it being a Friday early afternoon it was quite empty inside the small coffee shop.

They both got their favorites and sat in the corner Steve always sat in. Each of them took small sips while Steve was at a loss for words.

"So, tell me what it was like back in the nineteen-fourties." Rebekah beamed at Steve, slowly drinking her coffee.

"Well, one thing is for sure, it was a lot simplar." He twirled the coffee cup in hand. "Back then, yes there was the war, but there wasn't as much crime. Styles have changed a lot. Uh, swing dancing was big. So was television. That was one of the biggest things. It was a small, little box with only thirteen channels. The television actually caught on very quickly. That you can see today really."

"It sounds nice."

"It was." And he missed it. "What about you? What made you want to join S.H.I.E.L.D?"

Rebekah took another drink. "It's kind of a long story. Uh, when the Nazis were taking Jews to concentration camps, my family was sent there. My great grandma and her husband were sent into two different showers. My grandma was with my great grandpa. My great grandpa got the water; my great grandma didn't.  When my grandma and her father walked out, her father was shot in the head. My grandma was the only one to survive. When my grandma got married and had kids she told her story. And it's been passed down through my family. After I was told, I remembered reading on an organization called Hydra that was connected to the Nazis. I did some research and found that Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D had been rivaling all the way up to now. That's when I told myself I'd join S.H.I.E.L.D for my grandma and her parents."

Steve stared at Rebekah, feeling guilt and the flashback of a similar pain. "I'm so sorry. I'm just really sorry."

Rebekah shook her head. "It's all right now. I know it is. But if Hydra is still opporating, I'll personally make sure that they are gone for good."

A/N

Okay, I seriously need to stop writing these chapters in just a couple hours to a day, 'cuz I think they're starting to turn out pretty crummy on  the details and such. I apologize and will definately set aside time to write this story and make it better for my lovely readers. =D

I know it seems like just a Captain America Fanfic right now, but I can promise you there will be Stucky. It's just part of my master plan. So please bare with me for the time being. =)

Wow. Rebekah Grey and her family history. Sad. =( 

Fun little fact! The way Rebekah is spelled in this story is actually the Jewish way of spelling it. (If I remember correctly.)

Now, on the point of my new Story. I'm pretty sure I will call it Little Adventures of the Avengers. When I post it you can read more on it. =) and I really hope you'll like it.

This weeks dedication goes to Believing_In!!!! yay!! XD