Chapter 25- Downtown

Start from the beginning

"Ring pops and Starburst," she answered. I nodded and told her okay before turning and walking to my room.

I stopped by August's door on my way out. I figured I might as well see if they wanted something since I'm going to the store. I knocked and waited for somebody to say something. I tried knocking again, but there was still no response so I opened the door. It's almost noon and they're still sleep. I quietly walked in the room and over to August. I pulled one of the headphones out his ear and shook his shoulder.

"What?" he questioned with his eyes still closed.

"You want somethin' from the store?" I whispered, trying not to wake Keyanna up.

"Nah," he answered. He put the headphone back in his ear and within a few seconds he was sleep again. He's never really been a morning person, but he doesn't normally sleep this late. I shrugged and left out the room, closing the door behind me.

"Kim, I'll be back in a minute," I told her. She said okay but she never shifted her attention from the coloring book she was coloring in. I locked the door behind me and walked out to get in my car. I put the key in the ignition, but was hesitant to turn it. I had a bad feeling about this situation. Something was telling me to stay home. I shook the feeling and started the car anyway. I pulled out and headed to meet Ace.

It took me about 20 minutes to get to the house on the eastside. I parked in the front and got out. The door was unlocked so I went right in. I noticed Rodney sitting on the couch and I remembered seeing him at the hospital yesterday. I was lucky that August hadn't asked me anything about it. He probably talked himself out of believing that he really saw Rodney.

"I heard Denzel got shot. Is he ok?" Rodney asked. He turned around to face me.

"Yeah, he's alright. He acts like his normal self, you wouldn't even know he got shot," I responded. Denzel bounced back in no time. I wouldn't have even believed that he was shot if I hadn't seen the bullet wound.

"That's good," he said quietly.

"Aug saw you at the hospital yesterday," I told him. If I had faked my death I would've tried to hide myself better than Rodney was. He walks around in public without a care in the world.

"Oh, for real? I guess I gotta be more careful," he stated. He is not the smartest thing walking this earth. He has his moments just like Denzel. They were probably in the same classes in school.

"Where's Ace?" I asked after I grew impatient waiting for him.

"He's next door," Rodney answered. I turned and left out the house to go find Ace. I was ready to get this over with. I quickly made my way to the abandoned warehouse and entered through a back door. I was wandering around aimlessly until I found Ace sitting in the corner of a big open room.

"What the fuck is wrong with you nigga?" he asked calmly.

"Aint shit wrong with me," I answered. I could tell he was getting mad, but I didn't really care. The

"Did you forget about everything I got against you? What you think August and Keyanna would say if they found out about everything you hiding?" he inquired. Ace knew a lot of things that I was trying to hide. Aside from what happened with Keyanna's brother, there's something else that I've kept a secret. Nobody else down here knows about it, except for Ace.

"I already told Keyanna about her brother, and August is going to find out eventually so I might as well tell him now," I shrugged. I was planning to keep them a secret, at least until things got better, but I guess the truth shall set me free.

"Do you realize how much money you're missin' out on? You about to make one of the biggest mistakes of your life. I was really hoping it didn't have to come to this," he stated. I had this nonchalant attitude and he was fuming with anger.