Part Two: Hammers in the Night - Chapter Twenty

The next morning the first order of business was to go down to talk to the young man that we'd ended up capturing the night before. He was looking a bit miserable, sitting in the cell that we had for those who did something serious against the laws of the Pride. When I opened the door, he stood up rapidly and looked up into my eyes stammering softly.

"Sir, I..."

I held up my hand and he stopped trying to say something, "I know what your people did and they've already paid the price for it. We're going to be holding our memorial for our lost members tonight, but I'm afraid those who attacked up will be buried in a hole to spend the next few hundred years to contemplate their fate." I said, "You probably want to say goodbye to your comrades, if you actually liked any of them."

He nodded briefly. "Yeah, I really didn't see eye to eye with many of them, they weren't really my friends..." He looked down at the floor, "We weren't encouraged to make friends all that much."

I stepped over and nodded, "We don't think that's any way for a cat to live." I stated before taking his hand in mine. "If you give us your word that you won't try to harm any member of our Pride you can join us for breakfast." I said, I could already see that he was yearning to make something more of himself than simply living for blind hate.

"Yes sir, thank you sir. It is hard to live without being part of something greater than myself. Major Ilyanna Vyankyrstov always said that we were fighting for the glory of the Union, then again she grew up under the Union so for her perhaps there is something to be desired about it, but for me..."

"Which one was she?" I asked, since I was still needing information about the organization of the Hammers, and a higher-ranking officer usually have more information than a common foot-soldier.

"She was the one you smacked in the head with your sword sir,"

I sighed, since I'd not anticipated that she would be a true believer. "Okay, that makes things a bit more complicated." I stated turning around to look at Anna who nodded slightly,

"I think your mother has already patched her up, so simply letting her die is kind of out of the question now."

I nodded in understanding, "Well we could sentence her to death for her crimes against the Pride, but I'd rather learn what she knows about the Hammers. More information on them would be something that I think all members of the Alliance could use."

I had to chuckle as both the young Hammer and Anna's stomachs chose that moment to growl out in hunger. "How about we get some food into us before we figure out what to do next?" I stated before turning to leave the cell, with young Vasiliy behind me and Anna behind him.

We were met, at the elevators by two Protectors who took charge of Vasiliy so that he could grab his breakfast while Anna and I made our way to our seats for breakfast.

After breakfast I paid a visit to medical where my mom, who looked a bit worn out, was standing over the Major's bed. "Mark did you have to hit her so hard? You almost killed her with the pommel of your sword."

"Mom there's a reason pommels were designed like that mom, to be another weapon in the arsenal of an experienced warrior." I said before giving her a hug. "How's our patient doing?"

"Well it was tiring but I think I've repaired most of the damage." She said looking over at the bed and sighing, "We've restrained her but I think one of my more experienced medics is showing some interest in her."

I glanced over at the bed and noticed a broad, robust looking woman standing by the bed, the expression on her face was easy to see. She was worried about the one on the bed in front of her and even the bird on her shoulder seemed to reflect that worry.