Night Time Knight

Bad dreams was not one of the things they tell you when you become a Demi-god. Oh no, they come with out warning and without treatment.

This was one of the reasons I was up that night. The other bring, that this hay was getting a little itchy. Maybe you would break down and ask one of the others for a spare bed soon. That might add some awesome effect to your sword too. Speaking they would think you to be weak when you weren't.

Either way I decided to get up then. The nightmares made no sense, and I has no reason to have them. Not to mention gay was falling out of my hair.

I walked around the boat. The old creaky wood being my soul companion. The boat seemed so lonely at night. As if a permanent chill came at darkness.

You could hear the noises of sleeping bodies behind each door. It made the air even colder. Everyone else found it easy to sleep, while I did not.

It's when I spotted the small lamp did I finally feel warmth. It was low burning and lit up very little. Enough for you to see the deep innards of the mechanical beast we ride in. Sitting beside the lamp and tinkering away was the repair boy.

I tried to silently slink away, still uncomfortable with the other people on this boat. His voice made me stop though.

"Y'know, some would find or creepy to know you sneak around at night." He said, not looking up from his work.

A hotness spread into my face and I could feel embarrassment coil around me.

"You are in the blame here too buddy. Imagine them finding out that you know I do this." I tried to say lightly. It came out more as a snap though.

For a moment we both just sat there. Listening to the breathing of the ship. The gentle rocks it made only when you dared pay attention. The hum of the machines was the only thing breaking the silence.

" everyone gets nightmares. It comes with being who we are." He said at last. I wanted to say something snarky in return. But I soon realized I had no reason too. He was doing or saying anything to me on purpose. Or possibly at all .

"Yeah." Was the only thing I could say. 'Misery loves company' I could say. I could, but I just kept silent. It was as if the air between us was too fragile for talking.

"Listen, I know your new and all, but you can stay here. It's better than tossing around all night alone." He offered. I noticed hews watching my face. Looking for signs that I was going to decline his offer. In fact I was going to .

Then I thought about going back to my bed just to lie there thinking about my nightmares and what they meant. It didn't sound appealing.

So I gathered my courage and laid beside this stranger. It was awkward at first. But then we started talking. Just ice breaker stuff. Then I somehow ended up with my head in his lap. It was warmer and better then the floor.

Now that I think about it.

I'm pretty sure he chased my nightmares away.