Chapter 15: The Dark Times

Start from the beginning

"What the hell does this have to do with my parents?!" James exploded. "First, you come here, bring this... this Slytherin who is probably involved in everything! Then, you start talking about some measures! Maybe you'll all just go straight to hell right now?!"

"James," Lily pleaded. "Sit down, please."

"Your parents, James, have entered the Order of the Phoenix," Dumbledore said heavily, not letting Potter come to his senses and go on the offensive again. "And Severus has nothing to do with what's happening."

"Order of the Phoenix?"

"Exactly."

"What is this Order?" James's thoughts seized on the only available thread, leading him away from painful reflections.

"Order was created to confront the Dark Lord, as he calls himself, and to protect the rights of muggles, muggle-borns and also half-bloods."

"And my parents... Do you think this... Lord involved?"

"Correct, Mr. Potter. I think so. They were going to France on my assignment, but when on the second day we heard no news from them, I sent an owl to one of my good friends. And I believe the accident was rigged."

"How come, Headmaster," James said angrily. "Couldn't protect those who trusted you? Protective measures, huh?"

"I'm not almighty, James, but you have the right to be angry with me."

"Why did you bring him? And Lily?" he nodded toward Severus, but when he looked at Evans, his tone softened.

"Miss Evans and Mr. Snape found the rallying point of the followers of the Lord in Hogsmeade. Unfortunately, they didn't come to me immediately, fearing that they misunderstood the situation and trying to obtain evidence of what they saw. And... It's not advertised, James, but the events happening in magical England are far from perfect."

Dumbledore paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts.

"When nine years ago we received news that a talented but unknown wizard was gathering followers, we paid no close attention to this. Groups are everywhere, but they disintegrate in a couple of days. His ideas were radical and not feasible, and for some time he left our field of vision. We decided that, not finding supporters, he reconsidered his views. However, two years later he returned to the political stage. And people around him looked quite powerful. We began to watch him closer, trying to understand how he managed to collect so many people right under our noses. Aurors, Unspeakables, the whole Ministry was mobilized. Investigations began. It turned out that the wizard acted through the muggle world, so most of the allegedly committed by him murders remained out of our sight. Wizards, who were keeping away from our world, perished. Mostly half-bloods and muggle-borns, or squibs - those who didn't want to part with human world or those who didn't have a place in the world of wizards. But in the year when you entered Hogwarts, in the summer, the actions of this magician became more aggressive. He began to declare his name over the world, actively propagate the idea of blood purity. And let his speeches were persuasive and beautiful, beneath them was a real cruelty. We didn't need a revolution, let alone a full-scale war."

"And you created the Order?" Lily asked softly.

"Yes, Miss Evans." Dumbledore nodded. "The Order was formed seven years ago. It included people who cared about the future of wizarding world. The Ministry at that time had no direct evidence against the Lord, but it couldn't remain inactive. And later... later the Ministry took rather neutral position: so long as the murders of half-bloods and muggle-borns take place without violating the Statute of Secrecy and look like an ordinary accident, they turn the blind eye. The Order is made up of volunteers, mostly Aurors - current or former."