6

"I never back down from a challenge, Babe, especially when the prize is worth so much more," Arthur said, staring at the beautiful woman before him. A bright blush soon reached her cheeks when she heard what he said. Arthur was pleased that he was able to provoke such a reaction."When's your next day off?" He asked with a grin. Alexis's eyes widened; she didn't know that Arthur was that determined to go on a date with her. "T-This Friday." She stuttered while feeling the intensity of his gaze.

When Alexis's amber-colored eyes met Arthur's, she saw a determined gleam in his piercing blue eyes that reddened her face. Looking away, she shyly asked, "Did you like the book, Arthur?" He shrugged and sat down. "I've never heard of an Ice wolf before, until now. But the story is interesting." Alexis smiled softly as she glanced at him. "You can borrow it for a little longer if you want to." Arthur nodded; he was secretly glad that Alexis let him borrow the book for a while longer; he still had questions. 'I wonder how long she's had this book for. It's ancient, but the writing is still legible.' Arthur took a drink of Budweiser.

"Where do you want me to meet you?" Alexis asked, as her face burned. He quietly thought about her question for a moment, but then he vaguely said, "Just meet me at the docks, and we'll go from there." Alexis frowned when she heard Arthur's answer. 'The fact that he gave me a vague answer doesn't surprise me.' She looks at him and says, "I heard what you did." Arthur raised his brow; she wasn't supposed to know. 'David.' Arthur realized that he told Alexis that David always liked to meddle, but he meant well. "Thank you, Arthur." She spoke softly, and the smile that she gave him was enough to make Arthur's heart skip a beat.

He would never admit it, but he liked seeing Alexis smile a genuine smile and not a forced one. "Don't mention it," Arthur said, a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. 'He should smile more.' Alexis thought to herself until a familiar teasing voice interrupted her thoughts. "How are my favorite love birds?" David asks with a mischievous smile on his face. Alexis glared at him as her face turned beet red; Arthur wasn't bothered by his friend's words. "Are you happy about your father and brothers coming home tomorrow?" David sat on the other side of Alexis.

"As much as I've enjoyed having the house all to myself, I missed them. So yeah, I'm happy about them coming home." Alexis says with a soft smile. Arthur knew how much she loved her family; Alexis would do anything for them; she'd even die for them. "Arthur..." He heard her say his name, and he looked at her. "Yeah?" He noticed that she looked flustered. "Never mind...it's nothing," Alexis said nervously; Arthur wanted to know what she would say. "By how you're acting, I can tell that it's not nothing, Babe." Alexis' eyebrows raised in surprise.

'Damn, he is so observant. I might as well ask him.' She let out a sigh and looked him in the eye, and she said, "I was wondering if you'd like to go for a walk with me after work." He was surprised she was slowly coming out of her shell each day."Sure." Arthur shrugged, and Alexis beamed happily. 'She never ceases to amaze me.' He thought softly. Alexis soon went back to work, and while she was serving the men their beer, David called out to her. "Alexis, I thought about what you said, and you're right." She was so confused. "What was I right about this time?" Alexis walks towards the bar where David was at.

Seeing the confused look on her face, David coolly says, "You were right; I think it's time that we started serving food here at the pub." Alexis was shocked; she couldn't believe what David said. 'I never thought he'd agree with my idea, but boy, was I wrong.' Alexis thought while working until the end of her shift. After her shift ended, Alexis walked to the break room and got her favorite bag. She put it over her shoulder, slowly walked towards Arthur's table, and said, "Ready to go." He wordlessly picked up the book before following her out of the pub.