4

Alexis tilted her head to look up at who she had accidentally bumped into, and once she saw who it was, her cheeks started burning. The same man who helped her earlier in the bar stood in front of her. "Try to be a little more careful, Princess." He teasingly said to her while picking up the books that she dropped. The man glanced at the titles on the books as he picked them up. But only one book caught his eye. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." He read out loud with a grin on his face."That's a good book." The man said, handing Alexis's books to her.

"I haven't read it yet, but I'll take your word for it." Alexis commented before saying, "Thank you, uh...." She tried to remember his name, but she couldn't remember it. "Arthur." Alexis heard him say. "Nice to meet you, Arthur. I'm Alexis." She introduced herself as she held her new books under her arm while politely holding her hand. Even though he wasn't much of a hand shaker, Arthur still shook her hand. When he let go of her hand, she almost pouted at the sudden loss of his touch.

'I've never seen eyes like hers before.' Arthur thought, but he was dragged out of his thoughts when he heard her say, "Thank you, Arthur." He nodded, and Alexis soon walked away. As she walked past him, Arthur stared at her retreating figure until he couldn't see the shy woman. 'Why am I so interested in her? I just met her today.' Arthur tried to think of why he was so interested in Alexis, but he soon gave up when he couldn't find an answer. "Might as well go home," Arthur said before walking home.

Thoughts of Arthur ran through Alexis's mind as she was driving home. "Why? Why can't I stop thinking about him? Stupid mate bond." She groaned before turning on the CD player. Heavy Metal started blaring in the truck, and Alexis listened to the music while happily thinking, 'At least one of my brothers has good taste in music.' The trip home didn't take long since there wasn't any traffic, which was one of the pros of living in a small village. The downside was that, living so far away from Gotham, Alexis couldn't visit her uncle as much as she used to.

Alexis pulled the truck into the driveway and put it in the park before turning it off. She got out of the big truck and carried her new books into the house, where she sat down on her favorite chair. Pulling 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea out of the bag, she opens the book and quietly reads the first chapter. For almost four hours, she read until she thought about how her uncle was doing.'I wonder how Uncle Bruce is.' It had been a week since Alexis had last checked on him. Wanting to see how her uncle was fairing, she went upstairs into her bedroom and Skyped him on her laptop. It didn't take long before he accepted the call.

"Hey, Kiddo. How's Iceland?" Bruce asks, but when Alexis notices how tired he looks, she feels bad for waking him up.

"Did I wake you?" Alexis asked, noticing the small bags under her uncle's eyes. 'He hasn't been getting enough sleep.' She thought.

"No, I was already awake. So tell me, how are you fairing in Iceland?" Bruce asks; he wants to know if she is happy there.

"It's cold. I got a new job, and I also made two friends," Alexis said, not telling Bruce about David and Arthur in case he wanted to do a background check on them.

"What kind of job?" Bruce was very curious about his niece's job.

"A bar waitress," Alexis said with a smile, and she almost laughed when she saw the look on his face.

"Does your dad know?" He questioned. Bruce knew that Allen would throw a fit if he ever found out about Alexis's job.

"Nope, Dad doesn't know." She said, popping the P.

'Allen's gonna kill her.' Bruce thought.

"Uncle Bruce." Alexis sounded nervous as she looked at him.

"Yeah, Alex?" He started getting worried after hearing how nervous she was.