Chapter 5: Family Dinner?

Börja om från början

"Shoot away." I fixed my hair before making eye contact with him.

"Lately, I've been feeling disconnected with my girlfriend compared to when we started." He started. "Like we've been having more awkward silences and less things to talk about. I don't get anything she talks about, and she doesn't get anything I talk about. Is she losing interest in me or am I losing interest in her?"

"How often do you see each other?" I asked.

"Almost every day." He responded.

"There's only two things I can think of: either you guys are at the stage in your relationship where it's not as passionate, if that makes sense, or both of you aren't interested in each other anymore." I told him. "Like take Kiseok and I. We always manage to have a conversation going and we are willing to listen to each other, whether we understand each other or not."

"Ahh, I see." He said. He pulled out his phone to check a new text. "Well, if it makes you feel better in any way, you won't be caught here since she said that she had something to do tomorrow and can't come over."

"Are you sure?" I asked him. "She may be planning a surprise for you. Is it your birthday tomorrow?"

"Well, I mean she hasn't done it before so—"

"Hello!" I heard my mom's voice yell out. "Is anyone in here?"

"We'll talk about this later." I whispered to Jaemin. In a louder voice, I responded back to my mom. "Over here!"

"What are you two doing in here?" My mom popped her head in the room. She eyed us suspiciously. "You guys didn't do anything wrong, right?"

"Mom!" I looked at her in shock. "We just organized his closet!"

"Just organized?" She asked.

"Yes, ma'am." Jaemin responded. "We decided to clean out the closet since Jieun needs space to hang her clothes."

"I see." My mom smiled. "Well, then. Jieun, your crutches are here."

"Crutches?" Jaemin turned towards me. "I thought you said that it was fine."

"It should be, but I can barely walk." I told him. My maid walked over and gave me my crutches. I adjusted the crutches to be in a comfortable position before getting up and moving towards the door. "So, why are you here, mom?"

"I'm here to have a family dinner!" My mom exclaimed. I felt Jaemin come up behind me.

"A family dinner?" Jaemin asked, hesitation clear in his voice. "We already ordered for some jajangmyeon to eat for dinner."

"We can have that!" My mom said.

"But we only ordered for two..." Jaemin trailed off. I followed my mom towards the dining area and saw Jaemin's parents.

"Hello, Mrs. Na and Mr. Na." I tried to bow.

"Oh, sweetie." Jaemin's mom came over to help me sit down. "What happened?"

"I probably just tripped over something and it's just temporarily hurting." I told her. "It's probably nothing."

"No, no, no, no." She shook her head. "Jungsin, call the family doctor. She needs to get her foot checked."

"No, it's fine!" I told her. "You might as well give him a holiday."

"No, we're getting your foot checked." She turned towards Jaemin. "Why haven't you called the family doctor?"

"She said that she was fine, so I assumed that she was." Jaemin shrugged. "She knows her body better than I know hers, so I just trusted her."

"We'll talk later." Jaemin sat down next to me and his mom sat down in his original place.