Work It Out (Spencer)

Dedicated to: @dionnaea from Tumblr. I'm not going to recognize the anon who sent me this request, because they also sent her the same one. She wanted me to write my version of it anyway, so I will for her. Hers is 'Commitment' by the way, go read it! It's very well done!! 

To everyone out there, please don't send in the same EXACT request (anon didn't even correct their horrendous grammar and spelling) to multiple authors. It's a waste of creativity; we could be working on something original

Anon, shame on you. 

Warnings: Angst?

—————————————————————————

"You know what?! I'm sick of this! You can go to work alone, you can sleep on the couch tonight, you can cook for yourself! And don't even think about talking to me!!" You were beyond furious, and with good reason too; Spencer had once again taken out his frustration from the most recent case on you. You both had to go through the same things in the same cases all the time, and you had both promised each other that you would work out your feelings together. Apparently Spencer no longer wished to use this method. 

No one would ever think that Spencer could actually get angry or yell at anyone, but you had seen the aftermath of these stressful cases time and time again. Unfortunately, he would take out his frustration on you when he couldn't handle it himself, yelling at you, blaming you for small incidents, and things of such nature. When you and Spencer began dating you didn't think this would ever be a problem. Time had proven you wrong. 

Your coworkers at the BAU noticed that something was wrong between the two of you, but they—wisely—decided not to say anything. When the team was finally on the jet headed to Rexburg, Idaho for a case, you and Spencer sat as far away from each other as possible, which was very unusual. 

JJ decided it was time to say something about what had been going on, and scooted closer to you. "Hey, (Y/N)," she said softly, "I noticed something's up with you." You didn't look at her, but she could tell that you were listening. "Do you maybe want to talk about it?"

And with that, the floodgates opened. JJ led you to the jet's bathroom so that you could cry without anyone else seeing you. You sobbed and babbled about how Spencer had been treating you, how you had yelled at him, how much you loved him but it was so hard to keep up your relationship when he was acting like he didn't care half the time. JJ, being the amazing friend she was, just stood there holding you, running her hands through your hair, and murmured to you about how you could get through this, she would help you figure it out, and how if Spencer treated you badly one more time, she would make him pay. 

When you and JJ disappeared into the bathroom, Derek Morgan took notice and looked to Spencer, who was sitting across from him, staring blankly at one of the case files. 

"Hey kid," he said with a mixture of concern and sternness in his voice. Spencer looked up with a disinterested look. "What's up with your lady love?"

Spencer shrugged nonchalantly and returned to gazing at the file. "Guess she's on her period." Each syllable was heavily laced with sarcasm, and Morgan instantly tensed up. 

"Now you listen to me, Reid," he practically growled at the young doctor, and Spencer's head shot up, his eyes filled with confusion and fear, having never heard this side of Morgan, not even aimed toward an unsub. "You dare to talk about the girl who agreed to date your sorry butt like that again and I'll make sure you'll have to reuse those crutches of yours. Got it?" Spencer nodded, but Morgan was far from finished. "Something's going on; what did you do to hurt her so much?"

Spencer looked down again, this time in shame. "We fought again."

"Again?" Morgan's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "You guys actually find stuff to argue over?"

"I didn't think we could either," Spencer sighed. He shifted in his seat a little. "It's mostly the cases. The ones that make us so stressed out and upset. I tend to take it out on her. I know I shouldn't."

"Yeah, you shouldn't," Morgan agreed vehemently. "I suggest you make up as soon as possible. Bad things'll happen if you don't, man. Trust me." Spencer nodded and said no more. 

The case went better than everyone expected. Things ended quickly and cleanly. Hostages were successfully rescued, no extra lives lost, and the killer apprehended and sent off to prison. But the one thing that still jabbed you in the chest was the sight of him.

It hurt to see him and only remember the fight you two had had. All the words you'd thrown at each other, all the things you'd mindlessly shouted, all the moments of vengeful silence. Why did you have to resort to fighting to sort out your issues? That was definitely something you and Spencer would have to fix. 

Spencer approached you slowly from his seat in the airport's waiting area (even though the BAU team had the private jet, staying in an airport until it was ready for flight was necessary). You stood by the large windows, your eyes dragging along the horizon in a fruitless search for something to change the way you felt in the pit of your stomach. You paused when your eyes landed on a reflection that wasn't yours, and turned to see the young doctor standing there, his own hazel eyes full of remorse and regret. 

"(Y/N)," he started, his voice a low murmur, like he didn't trust it not to crack with emotion if he were to speak any louder. "(Y/N), you have no idea how sorry I am. I want to make some sort of...profound apology. I want to put my words together perfectly like you do, but we both know I'm not poetic in the least," you and he both laughed at this, your heart feeling a little lighter already. 

His small smile started to dwindle as he turned back to being serious. "But in spite of that, let me just tell you that what I've been doing to try to relieve myself of all this stress is not okay. It's not okay at all. And I'm really sorry for it." Your eyes teared up at his apology, which to you was just as eloquent and beautiful as any. "You deserve...so, so much better than how I've been treating you. I know I don't deserve another chance, but I'd be so privileged if I could be allowed one more try."

Tears were now falling freely from both your cheeks and Spencer's, and you stepped forward to wrap your arms around his skinny frame, holding on tight to what you believed was a hopeful future. "Oh, darling," you whispered into his chest, tightening your grip when you felt his arms around you and his slender hands on your back. "You have all the chances in the world. God knows I don't deserve to be taken back, too. But when you love someone, you let them keep on trying. And I love you more than life itself, so deal with it," you smiled, and Spencer laughed with relief before resting his head on yours. 

Most of the BAU team was asleep on the jet headed home, all except for Morgan and JJ. They both looked to where you and Spencer slept together on the small couch. Neither of you had much space, so you lay on top of him, your feet dangling off of the armrest. 

"You know," JJ started, a smile finding its way to her lips, "they have their problems. We all do. But for being new to this whole relationship thing, they sure know how to make a relationship truly work."

Morgan nodded. "I'm glad Reid decided to apologize. He deserves to be happy."

"They both do. They deserve each other," JJ added, and Morgan hummed in agreement.