Miss Nova Nu

The sun danced wonderfully over the glass and chrome of the city, magnifying the light streamlining through my window. Lighting up my dress from behind making it almost translucent, accenting my new hourglass figure. My mum would be so proud of me, 80 pounds lighter and now a total babe. All it took was being sick with grief over her death for me to finally get the figure she always wanted me to have. It figured that I would only lose the weight after she died, even thinking about her now quailed the rumblings of my stomach. Missing her was like missing a headache, but I did. With one last glance in the mirror, I could see nothing out of place. Papa never liked anything short of perfection since mother died, his strict guidelines were the way the Nu family dealt with grief. The opulence of my room was replaced by the sterile whiteness of the halls, my heels clicking against the glass floor and the only sound was the crystalline chirping of my Nu. "Update." My command echoed back to me.

"You have three new messages, four news feed updates and one meeting with your father." A small version of the black swan princess danced on the wall. NuMe was the technology my Papa invented. Augmented helper/friend, that was your calendar, your cell phone and everything in between. It could project onto any compatible screen, for you to share or see your content. It brought my Papa from an obsessive basement dweller to the richest business man in the world. It fitted your ear kind of like a hearing aid, a small touch sensor sat behind your ear, and two small neurotransmitters between your ear and your temple. The effect was hands free communication and news, it was amazing at least that's what a lot of people say. I can't imagine a world without it.

"Confirm the morning meeting with Mr. Nu and bring up messages." Information flashed across the wall moving as I made my way to the elevator. Two different messages from the girls who thought they were my friends, but I knew bottom feeders when I saw them but they all had their uses. Kendra and Kylie both were at war with each other for my attention, telling me all the latest gossip and inviting me to the best clubs. In the world where being seen was everything and information was power, it was key to balance these two vamps accordingly. "Reply Kylie, Omg you're the best I can't believe Echo is playing at Substance tonight we have to go! Reply Kendra, So she said all that to you about me? Then proceeded to say I am not invited to the benefit gala? Funny. Btw we are heading to Substance tonight." Elevator doors closed behind me with a swish and the elevator ascended.

My Papa had only one expectation from me to follow his command and be as useful as possible. Though so far all it seemed like he wanted was for me to stay out of trouble, I could see my lips curl into a sneer in the reflection of the elevator. The door slid open, and my feet were already in motion even as the light from the sun blinded my eyes as it refracted off all the chrome and white of the office.

I heard my father before I saw him. "I told him that I am not working on any new updates for the Nu! Nor am I developing anything at the moment!" My Papa's back was towards me as my eyes cleared. My steps took me five feet away from his desk, his towering 6'5 was impressive even as he wore an all white khakis and a loose cotton blend shirt. "I am in mourning, tell him if he disrespects my mourning period one more time for trivial matters-- No you are right Carmine, just take care of it." When my father turned and his eyes fell on me there was silence, in that moment I saw my Papa decide something resolution hardened and my gut dropped. My Papa was an imposing stone wall of a man with his olive tone skin, amber eyes, thickset muscles and jet black hair combined with high he always looked like some old school cartel boss. Most people would look at him and not know what he was thinking but my mother was always so good at it and so was I. The secret was that his eyes are so expressive, they are reflections of his soul and right now as he looks at me his soul hardens. "Nova how was your rest?"

"It was adequate Papa." I could feel the tension rise up my back. Contrary to what it may look like to the outside eyes I am a Daddy's girl. We always got along better than me and my mother. It was just that my mother had more time for me and a vision. "Thank you for sending me this dress. It is beautiful." Which it was, a shimmering white lace that fell down my body perfectly like it was made for me, which it probably was.