Chapter 3: Seize The Day

"Jack. So, where's Spot?" Race asks as soon as Jack and I enter the square. Jack gives me a look and I shrug. I think he thought I was going to attempt to convince Spot to join when I asked them to leave. Well, obviously I didn't. Maybe I should've. Maybe, I'll pay Brooklyn a visit tonight to talk to 'The King'.

"He was concerned about us being serious," I tell Race, who rolls his eyes and leans back against the statue, folding his arms over his chest. He nibbles a bit on the end of his cigarette, which disgusts me. I wish he and Jack both wouldn't smoke.

"You imagine that?" Jack asks, outraged. Race shakes his head blows a puff of smoke out of his mouth and shakes his head.

"Well, Jack, maybe we ought to ease off a little," Race suggests. I can't help the shocked look that bestows itself on my face. He didn't just say that. I know I didn't hear my best friend say that! "Witout Spot and the others, there ain't enough of us, Jack."

"Maybe we're moving too soon. Maybe we ain't ready, you know?" Mush says. I feel my jaw drop even more. Stop the strike, we can't just stop the strike. Spot may have been right. But, it's only two people and I'm not giving him any credit that soon.

"I definitely think we should forget about it for a little while," Skittery adds. I fold my arms over my chest.

"Oh, do ya?" I ask. The three of them nod and about seven others behind them. I shake my head. This is unbelievable to me.

"Yeah," Skittery tells me.

"Yeah, I mean, without Brooklyn..." Race trails off. "You know?"

"Spot was right, is this just a game to you guys?" I ask, not believing the words 'Spot was right' just came out of my mouth. To give that arrogant bum credit is like giving the gold to runner who thinks they're going to beat everybody before the race has started.

Suddenly, I hear a beautiful, melodic voice being to sing and I realize it's David, "Open the gates and seize the day,

don't be afraid and don't delay.

I join him, "Nothing can break us,

No one can make us,

give our rights away."

"Arise and seize the day!" we sing together. I smile at Davey. We're starting to become pretty good friends.

"Now is the time to seize the day,

send out the call and join the fray," we all sing.

"Wrongs will be righted," David sings.

"If we're united," I finish.

"Let us seize the day!" we all chorus.

"Friends of the friendless seize the day.

Raise up the torch and light the way.

Proud and defiant,

We'll slay the giant.

Let us seize the day.

"Neighbor to neighbor,

father to son.

One for all and all for one!

Open the gates and seize the day.

Don't be afraid and don't delay.

Nothing can break us,

No one can make us,

Give our rights away.

Neighbor to neighbor,