Chapter 40: Epilouge

It was a sunny day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing. Everything was beautiful. The cherry tree in my front yard was blooming with big, beautiful pink blossoms. That was the last thing I saw.

I grew old. I watched my son, Jack, grow up, fall in love, and get married. He had children. Three. An oldest daughter and her two wild younger brothers. He did end up looking exactly like Spot. He has the steely blue eyes, same hair, same smirk.

My daughter, Gillian, was very young when she got married. She had a baby at a young age too. She's still married and she has two children, a girl and a boy. She also looks exactly like Spot, but she has my golden hair and deep blue eyes.

He died in a car accident. A driver under the influence of alcohol hit his car on the way home and killed him instantly. Spot Conlon, the King of Brooklyn, the King of My Heart.

I never remarried. I had many suitors, but none of them were him. None of them were Spot. I could search for the rest of my life and I would never find someone as right for me as he was. He was my soulmate. The one person I was meant to be with. The one person I'll ever love. My husband. My first and last love. Spot Conlon.

I never understood why he was taken from me so early. I remember what I told Sarah when she was mourning Mary. I told her that all things happen for a reason and sometimes we're not meant to know why at first. I never knew why and I still don't. Perhaps I was too bitter to accept whatever it was and was blinded by it completely.

I told Gillian and Jack stories of their father. Jack only knew him for three years of his life, but Gillian never knew him at all. I told them all about him. I told them about him being a Newsie, I told them about the strike and his acts of heroism throughout it. I told them all about when I first fell in love with him.

I watched my family get old, and wither away. I watched as dad grew old and died, Davey and Sarah's parents, even my own brother went before me. I grew old and more and more weak and sick. Then, my time came.

It's a sunny day. The sun is shining and warm, the birds are singing. Everything was beautiful. The cherry tree in my front yard is blooming with big, beautiful pink blossoms. That tree. It looks so beautiful.

I lay in my bed, sick. My son and daughter are at my bedside, my daughter weeping and my son holding my hand. I look up at him, seeing my husband in him. That is the last thing I saw before the life seeps out of me.

Passing away is an odd sensation. I am not cold or uncomfortable. I am filled with a sudden warmth that seemed to come out of nowhere. It is blissful and peaceful. And, I have a sense complete and utter happiness. Something I have not felt in a long time.

I sit up abruptly. I'm in a completely white room. A mirror reflects a girl. Me. I'm not the withered, wrinkly sick mess. This is the same woman who married Spot Conlon. This is me on my wedding day. This was the happiest day of my life.

I look down to see myself dressed in my beautiful white wedding dress and a silver jeweled crest covers my head. I have no shoes on and my hair is wavy and running down my back and shoulders.

I throw the door of the room open. Immediately, whatever brightness I had thought was in that room, it his even brighter here. There are rainbows filling the skies and clouds instead of roads underfoot. I smile at the beautiful sight and then, I feel a presence behind me.

"I knew you would look beautiful as an Angel," they say to me. The voice makes me freeze. I just stare straight ahead, not daring to turn around in case I am in for a major let down and it is not who I think it is. "I love you."

I turn around and tears fill my eyes. I just stare, stare at those steely blue eyes that I have longed for for the rest of my days, and take all of this moment in. I have missed and longed for this moment when we would meet again. Finally, a word escapes my mouth.

"Spot?"

The End