#Romanceclass: An Introduction With Its Filipino Authors (Frolic article)

Some of my responses to an interview by Silvana Reyes, published on Frolic. 

What do you love about writing romance?MINA V. ESGUERRA (AUTHOR OF What Kind of Day ):

At first I thought it would be fun to write what I love to read... but now it's more than that. I feel lucky that I'm able to do this, and at each stage work with people who get it. My editors, cover design team, all the way to the readers... I am constantly around people who understand why the books matter. And we try to make books that cover the topics that matter to us. It's so cool and so inspiring.

Could you tell us a bit more about one of your books?MINA:

My new book is about people who make and do good things, and care about others. It takes the form of a politician's speechwriter and a tour guide meeting by accident, and it's travel and food and discovering shiny things in dirt (pretty much). And kissing! I love being able to tell that kind of story, because I write romance.

What are themes/tropes that you think are unique to Filipino romances?MINA:

I don't know how "unique" it is, but I'm noticing a... pattern among the #romanceclass books I've been reading, even when the styles and stories are so different. I love how places matter, and a change of scenery is often required for the characters (totally relatable). Food is often a thing! Family is important, and not just the one you were born into. The male main characters or love interests are just PRECIOUS. So cute and cuddly, even if they're muscular or grumpy or hot or all of the above. That the authors can write men who are such good people, when our society rewards men who are so toxic, ugh. And in turn, female main characters who are no pushovers, and are in charge of their lives!

Full article here: https://frolic.media/romanceclass-an-introduction-with-its-filipino-authors/