Interviewed by Bernice (DLSU): On inspiration, revision, workshops

I was interviewed by Bernice of DLSU and asked if I could share her questions and my answers here. Seemed like it might be helpful to those following this :)

1. ‎What is your inspiration in writing romance novels?

Often it's really just scenes that come up in my head that I wish I had read in a book, or saw in film. If it doesn't exist yet, or not in that specific way, I feel I have to write it. What happens after that is formed by research, real life, chismis, wish fulfillment.

2. ‎Have you ever considered writing in a different genre? Why and/or why not?

I've written Young Adult Fantasy (the Interim Goddess of Love trilogy incorporated stories from Philippine mythology), Heist/Crime (Young and Scambitious is four short stories featuring four different high-society scams), and tried writing a Shakespeare trope set in a dystopia but instead it evolved into an alternate-universe Political Romance (The Future Chosen). Romance figures heavily even when I try new things. I don't have a reason why, apart from this is what I like to read, so I try to write it too.

3. ‎What are your personal best revision practices and why do you think revision is necessary?

Stay in writing mode while writing, go into revision mode when you're done, and ideally weeks after, and without looking at it in between. Revision is necessary because I might be taking shortcuts when I feel I'm on a deadline. I need to take the time to breathe, and then go back and decide where parts of the book need to breathe too. My process might be different from someone starting out. I've written over 20 books by now, and published most of them. I have the advantage of knowing sales figures, reader reviews, response to marketing, which parts of the book are highlighted (you get this information when you publish ebooks). I can tweak my revision strategy to target a specific reader response, based on what I know. Writers who don't have this mass of data yet will need or want an editor or mentor to help them skip over some avoidable hurdles.

4. ‎What other revision tips can you give to starting writers?

Honestly ask yourself if your own chapter or page bores you. It will bore readers too, if yes. Make sure there's something in it that you like, or add it in if it's not there yet.Earlier I mentioned taking a break between writing and revising. During that break, consume media that'll stimulate your creativity. Sometimes that means really good stuff (movies, museum trips, books, concert, theater), or it could mean stuff you absolutely don't like (because your strong reaction to it could stimulate you too--to do better). 

5. ‎What can you say about writing workshops? What are its values?

Go into it to learn from people who have a different process, I guess. I didn't join my first one though until long after I had decided my genre and my career path as an author, so I mostly observed and picked up what could be useful for me, instead of let it define my next steps.

6. ‎What do you think is the role of critique in the writing process? Does it play a big role?

I read all of it, act on some, retain what I find useful. In genre though I really recommend that when deciding which critiques to act on, to prioritize the ones of those who follow the genre, are fans of it, understand your book's place in the genre once it's released. Not all readers/fans are going to be able to do this, and not all critics will understand what you're trying to do. Critique is great, and I'm for it, but what to act on--no easy answer, and it's part of the learning process.

7. What is your most memorable writing experience?

Actually completing the Interim Goddess of Love trilogy, probably my most ambitious "project." I probably won't do anything of that scale again, haha. I'm glad I managed to finish it. 

8. What do you think is the best advice that every writer should know?

Don't forget the reader. :)