Chapter Two

The sun was shining brightly by the time Rhine stepped out of the facility in which all the Pokémon were kept overnight. She stretched her tired limbs with a content sigh. Morning dew covered the grass and the bird Pokémon were chirping. It was the perfect way to start the morning.

 Until she heard someone call her name.

 At first Rhine thought she was hearing things but, as soon as she was able to identify the speaker, all hopes of a peaceful day were swept away.

 She turned her head just as Riko sped into her line of sight. There was a bright grin on his face, and his blue fur seemed to glow in the light of the sun. He bounced from paw to paw excitedly.

 "Morning, Rhine! Notice anything different?"

 His sister gave him a blank look. "You evolved."

 "Yes! It happened yesterday. Isn't it wonderful? I'm blue now!"

 "I can see that. Now if you'll excuse me-"

 "Wait!" The male interrupted, jumping in front of her. He ignored her irritated expression and continued. "I have more news. Jori said that she's going to make me a Contest Pokémon!"

 Rhine nodded slowly, trying and failing to suppress her boredom and aggravation. "I heard. That's very exciting."

 "I know! She's going to give me a bunch of combinations that I'll have to perform in front of thousands of people! She says that I'm going to be really great at it, and that she'll pick moves that best suit my style. Jori is such a great Trainer, I..."

 Rhine tuned him out as he started to ramble. She couldn't care less about his new ambition. In fact, she didn't know why he was talking to her at all. Even went Jori took him on trips he never came and told his sibling about them. 

 And yet he wondered why they had grown apart.

 "- so I want you to train me."

 Rhine's head snapped up at the last part of his sentence.

 "Pardon?"

 "I want you to help me get ready for the Contest, of course!" Riko exclaimed happily. "There's no other Pokémon I'd rather go to."

 She didn't attempt to hide the incredulous look on her face. "You want me to help you train for a Contest? You do realize that I only battle, right?"

 "I know, but you're so good at it that I'm sure I can learn something. I've seen you in action, and you're amazing. Won't you please help me?"

 Riko gave her a hopeful smile that made her narrow her eyes. 

 The nerve.

 "Absolutely not," Rhine stated firmly. "I can't train you."

 She watched the grin fade into a confused frown. His nine tails that had been sticking up joyfully sunk to the ground.

 "What? Why?" He inquired, sadness creeping into his tone.

 The female turned her body in the direction of the open pasture nearby, her only route of escape. She began trotting away and wasn't all that surprised when she heard her brother start to follow her.