Chapter Four - Party

Start from the beginning

When you enter the apartment, there are a lot of people inside already, most of them a few years older than you. Ned's cousin (you think his name is Derick?) swings by and gives Ned a fist bump, inviting the three of you to make yourselves at home and enjoy the party. Ned immediately gravitates to somewhere in the middle of the room, but you and Peter just stand awkwardly by the door.

"We really don't belong here, do we?" you ask, looking at all of the people drinking and grinding against each other surrounding you. Peter responds with a curt, "Nope."

"Do you want to go stand awkwardly in the corner?"

"I think I do, yes."

The two of you finally leave the doorway and start to weave your way through the dozens of people in the large apartment, and after a bit of searching, you find a spot between the wall and the couch in the living room where you and Peter can sit. It's uncomfortable, and the two of you are a bit squished together, but it still puts you at ease more than being in the middle of the party would.

"I am so excited to spend my Saturday night crammed into a corner with my stupid best friend at some stranger's house," you whisper, trying to push away some of the tension that had risen in both of you from being in unusual territory. Peter laughs.

"Hey, you could do a lot worse than this 'stupid' guy," he responds. You elbow him teasingly, but because of the lack of room, you only manage to drive your arm into his rib cage. He lets out a small, "Ouch."

You continue to chat for about half an hour, somehow feeling way more comfortable in the cramped corner with Peter than you would anywhere else. Sitting alone with your best friend, ignoring the party raging around you, it's weirdly nice.

However, your quiet time had to end at some point, and soon enough you find Ned's face staring down at you from above. "Theeere you are!" he groans, obviously drunk already because of his slurred speech. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"

"What do you need, bud?" Peter's voice is laced with hesitation, and his worry for Ned's well-being is clear on his face. Ned isn't usually the type to drink, especially not enough to get him drunk. Good for him for enjoying himself?

"They're starting a game of seven minutes in heaven, and I wanna play, but you guys need to come too," Ned huffs. Before you can protest, Ned reaches down and grabs both your wrist and Peter's, pulling you to your feet with surprising strength. You find yourself getting dragged through the apartment until you reach a group of fifteen or twenty people all sitting in a circle. An empty beer bottle is lying on its side in the middle.

"Three more? Make room, guys!" shouts someone from within the circle. Everyone shuffles over to make enough room for the three of you to sit down. You find yourself sitting between Peter and a really cute brunette girl that you recognize from your chemistry class. You're not quite sure how she knows Derick or why she was invited to the party, but she still smiles at you and says a polite, "Hello."

Once everyone settles down, Derick yells, "I'm going first, 'cause this is my party, bitches!" He reaches forward, gives the bottle a flick, and everyone watches as it spins rapidly around the circle and finally settles on a guy you don't recognize. "Ayy! Brad!! Let's go have some fun!" The guy, whose name is apparently Brad, rolls his eyes but smiles as he stands up and starts to head toward the closet with Ned's cousin. Brad walks in first, but not before he gets a decently hard slap on the ass from his partner. They enter the closet and someone starts a timer.

Everyone speculates about what's going on in there until the timer rings. A girl from the group gets up and throws open the closet door, revealing Brad and Derick in a deep kiss. They pull apart quickly, Derick winks at the crowd, and they head back to the circle.