Chapter Four - Party

Your alarm wakes you up way too early the next morning. It had taken you forever to fall asleep the previous night because your thoughts about Spiderman had kept you awake, so you managed to sleep maybe two hours max. Still, school comes first, so you groan and reach to shut off your alarm.

You get ready for school, say goodbye to your parents, and head to the door so you can leave your apartment and catch the bus. However, just as the door swings open, you're greeted with a surprised-looking Peter, his hand raised like he was just about to knock.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" you ask, adjusting your bag on your shoulder.

"I figured we could head to school together again," he replies. "It was... well, it was nice last time."

"Yeah, sure! I was just about to head out anyway." You grab your key off its hook and exit the apartment, closing it and locking the door behind you out of habit. You take a second to yawn before you start trudging down the hallway toward the stairs.

"Tired?" Peter asks, taking note of your sluggish behaviour.

"A bit, I didn't sleep much last night."

"Any reason?"

You consider for a moment, trying to come up with something vague but honest. "I was just up late talking to a friend."

Peter's eyes widen a bit, and he clears his throat before asking, "W-Would I happen to know this friend?"

"Oh, um, I don't think so." Instinctively, you reach a hand up and start to twirl a strand of hair around your finger. "We... We just met a few days ago."

"Well, I'm sure they're great." Luckily, Peter doesn't get to press any further because you've reached the bus stop, and the bus itself pulls up a mere three seconds later. "Good timing."

When you get to school, you find Ned waiting for you at your locker. "So, guys, I need your help," he says. Then, he holds up two ties, one blue with flamingos dotting it, and the other green and covered in pineapples. "Which would be better to wear tomorrow night?"

"Ned, I say this with so much love because I am your best friend, but they're both awful. Please do not wear those." You gently reach forward and take the ties from Ned's hands, carefully folding them up and placing them in your bag. "You get these back on Sunday."

Ned's shoulders slump in defeat, but he mumbles, "Yeah, okay."

"Don't worry about it, I'm confident that you'll look amazing on the day of the party," you say, giving him a reassuring smile. He returns it, then composes himself and waves goodbye as he heads off to class. You gather your books, then wish Peter good luck with his classes and head out.

~~~

Saturday night arrives quicker than you would have expected. You find yourself a decent outfit to wear, brush your hair to get rid of the tangles, and then wait by the door for Peter and Ned to come to pick you up. You had told your parents that the three of you were going to a small get-together at one of your other friend's houses to get them to let you go. You felt a bit bad for lying, but hey, sometimes it's worth it.

After a few minutes of waiting by the door, scrolling through Tumblr on your phone to pass the time, a knock echoes through your apartment. You open the door and are delighted to see Peter and Ned, both looking (surprisingly) well-groomed and sensible.

"Sorry we're a bit late," says Ned, "but we shouldn't wait any longer, we have to catch the bus in a few minutes." You nod, shout goodbye to your parents, and follow the two boys out the door.

The entire trip only takes a total of fifteen minutes or so, and soon enough, you find yourself standing outside Ned's cousin's apartment. There's music thumping loudly from inside and you can feel the bass vibrating through the walls as soon as you place your hand on the doorknob to go inside. Man, I feel bad for this guy's neighbours.