~Chapter 1~

Miley's POV

Ride the wave
Summer sun,summer fun,
Summer love
Ride the wave
Let it bring to what you're dreaming of

The sun had already risen high in the cloudless sky over Malibu by the time fifteen-year-old Miley Stewart woke up.She pushed a strand of brown hair out of her eyes and blinked sleepily at her bedroom ceiling,sensing that there was something different-------something delightful-------about this morning.The only problem was that she couldn't quite remember what it was.

Two birds sang sweetly to each other in the jacaranda tree outside.She turned her head toward the window,smiling,then realized that this was the first thing that was different: she couldn't actually hear the birds.Usually,the gentle sound of birdsong would be totally drowned out by the painful sound of her older brother,jackson,singing loudly and incredibly off-key in the bathroom.

She lay still for another moment,luxuriating in the sense of peace and watching dust mites dance lazily in the sunlight that slanted through the window curtains.

Then she stretched her arms over her head,enjoying the feeling of being completely rested and relaxed . . . which,now that she thought about it,was also strange.
Usually,every morning started with her desperately trying to find the braying alarm clock so she could hit the snooze button one more time-----

That was it! Her alarm clock hadn't gone off!Miley bolted out of bed,panicky,and raced to her closet.She should have known as soon as she saw the way the sunbeams crossed her room that the sun was higher in the sky than usual which meant that she would probably miss the first bell,which meant-----

She stopped abruptly in the middle of the room as she finally remembered the glorious fact that had been nagging at her since she woke up.

No,she wasn't going to be tardy.Because this was the first day of summer! Three months of fun and friends and freedom stretched out Infront of her,like a glorious present waiting to be unwrapped!

Miley did a little dance of joy before running out of her room and down the stairs.

"Good morning!"she called out to her father,who was mixing pancake batter in the kitchen.
"Well,someone's in a good mood today",Robby Stewart said teasingly."Hmm.I wonder why that is?"

"Because I'm free",she said happily."Free,free,free!"

Miley skidded to a stop and reached over the counter to put a finger in the bowl of batter."Free,"she repeated dreamily one more time licking her finger.

"Whoa,there,bud,you can lick the bowl after I've finished making pancakes for everybody here,"her father said.

"But there won't be any batter left after you've made the pancakes," Miley pointed out reasonably.She snuck her finger in the bowl again."Yum."

"Mornin'." Jackson,Miley's brother,wandered into the kitchen.His tousled dark-blond hair made it clear he'd just stumbled out of bed.So did the fact that he was still wearing pajama bottoms and a T-shirt.
Yawning.he grabbed a plate and held it out to his dad."The pancakes smell great.I'll have five,please.No,seven.Actually,
I'm starving,so how about eight..."

"Whoa,whoa,whoa," Mr. Stewart said "Don't you want to take a gander at my work of art here first?".

Miley rolled her eyes.Her father had grown very proud of his ability to create what he called "picture pancakes"----batter poured to resemble objects or animals----and insisted on asking his children to identify them before being served.

Unfortunately,trying to figure out what the pancakes were supposed to be wasn't always easy.Mr.Stewart would claim that the pancakes were alien spacecrafts or giraffes or pickup trucks,but they all looked like blobs to Miley.Tasty blobs,but blobs nonetheless.