Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

To put it nicely, both of the girls were surprised by Jonah's presence.

"Come sit," I said to Jonah, patting the empty chair next to the one I'd just sat at. I gave him a reassuring smile and he gave me a nod in return, and I turned my attention to the girls seated across us. "Gina, Bey, this is Jonah, my Life Skills partner," I told them, ignoring the coy look Gina was sending me, and turned to Jonah, "Jonah, this is my best friend Gina, and her girlfriend, Bey."

"Nice to meet you," Bey said brightly after throwing a meaningful look at me. A few weeks ago, Gina and I finally told her about the whole (abandoned) Operation Bite the Apple, including how I had been crushing on Jonah forever. Long story short, she hadn't gone a day without teasing me about it.

"Hannah's been telling us a lot about you," Gina chimed in, and I sent her a dark look.

I looked at Jonah and saw that he had a small polite smile on his face. "Good or bad?"

"Bad, Jonah," I cut my friend off. "Bad, bad things. I told them that you're the worst person in the world. Just terrible to be around. Horrifying, really." He rolled his eyes at me, but he was silent.

The rest of the lunch hour was well spent, except for the fact that Gina and Bey would flirt relentlessly in front of us and making everything awkward between Jonah and I as we both tried not to pay attention to the blatant public display of affection in front of our lunch.

My friends decided to be abnormally insufferable today, but I had to forgive them since Jonah seemingly, despite the fact that he hid it pretty well, was having a great time at our table with them.

Maybe then he'd start to realize that friends weren't such bad things.

[]

Having my nights ruined by Daisy's cries, I wasn't all that surprised when my sleeping pattern became a little bit wacky.

My eyes would automatically snap open around two in the morning—the hour when Daisy cried the most—as if my body was expecting the sound of her wailing. I would immediately fall asleep again, though, when I realized that the spawn of the devil was far away from me and that I was safe from her evil ways of torturing my much needed beauty sleep. But this time, before my eyes could snap shut again, my phone vibrated from my bedside table.

With my eyes closed, I swiped the screen to answer the call. "'Lo?"

A sound of what was possibly a mixture of a groan and a sigh came greeted my ear, along with the familiar crying sound. "She wouldn't stop crying."

I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes and letting out a huge yawn before replying, "Is she hungry?"

"No. I fed her."

"Diaper?"

"No blinking light so I didn't bother."

"You rocked her?"

"Been doing that for the last one hour and forty minutes and it was gonna be either my arms falling off or this fucking doll out of the window."

"Hold your temper, Jonah," I said patiently, yawning again. "Maybe she's cold?"

There was a mumbling that sounded a lot like a curse, and then some rustling as if Jonah was moving around so I lay my head back into my pillows, and I felt myself slipping into the  dreamland until his voice rang out. "—Nah? Hannah? You there?"

"Mmm," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand. "Still crying?"

"Yes she's sti—wait, she just... stopped," Jonah said, his voice sounding like he was in awe. "Oh thank god. Oh god," he repeated over and over again, sighing in relief. I heard a soft thud, like he just dropped onto his bed in exhaustion. "Thank you, Hannah."