Chapter 13: New King, Old Problem.

The Dora Milaje and Jabari were called upon. The warriors started making their way towards the challenge, I stayed put beside the Queen and Princess, unsure of whether I should be included in the combat. Noticing my presence still beside her Romona turned to me and questioned why I was still there. She told me to go and so off I went.
The challenge began. It had started off good for T'Challa, edging in a good few blows, but as the Dora Milaje and Jabari closed in, decreasing the diameter of the ring, things started to go downhill for the Prince. He was receiving more blows that delivering them. I cringed slightly as M'Baku continued to hammer him down.

"No powers. No claws. No special suit, oh! Just a boy not fit to lead."

The anger inside me continued to build up inside of me and M'Baku was just prodding the fire. I looked over to T'Challa, who looked as if he was accepting defeat. He couldn't. His people needed him to guide them, not some ape who thought it was a good idea to challenge a worthy Prince. I had had enough.

"T'Challa! Get off your royal ass and show him who you are!"

He looked in my direction, a bit taken aback at my choice of words, but none the less he got himself up and was ready to fight once again.

"I am T'Challa, son of King T'Chaka."

Then M'Baku's anger had risen by this stage and was charging for T'Challa, who smoothly dodged his oncoming blow and delivered a slight shove to M'Baku's back, sending him flying. The crowd was going wild, all chanting T'Challa's name with pride. The next thing I know M'Baku is lying near the cliffs edge while T'Challa has his legs wrapped around M'Baku's neck securely.

"Yield! Don't make me kill you!"

"I much rather die!"

He had no way out and I could see in T'Challa's eye that he would much rather let the man go than have to slay him and he was adamant to get M'Baku to yield.

"You have fought with honour! Now yield! Your people need you."

With a few more minutes of persuasion M'Baku gave T'Challa three taps on the leg, signalling he had yielded. The crowd went ballistic. Of course M'Baku and the Jabari weren't as happy and simply walked away the same way they came. The Dora Milaje had lowered their weapons and stood orderly, diagonal to the Prince. Zuri then spoke:

"I now present to you, King T'Challa, the Black Panther."

The Dora Milaje started a tribal dance as I looked around me and admired everything I saw. Everyone was cheering, happiness flooding through them as they welcome their new King to the Throne. I couldn't hide the smile on my face as I looked back to T'Challa, who returned the gesture. I then moved my eyes towards the cheering crowd and then back to him, signalling him to make a move. He still smiled as he nodded and turned his attention to the people, his people. He crossed his arms across his chest and chanted:

"Wakanda Forever!"
——————————————
After T'Challa had been crowned King he had to be granted the power of the Black Panther once again. Meanwhile I had returned to my room, to give the royal family some space. Both to grieve the death of T'Chaka and to celebrate T'Challa's achievement.
I figured I wouldn't be going anywhere that evening so I decided I would take it as an opportunity to relaxe and somehow deal with the major jet-lag I was experiencing. I was still wearing my uniform as I decided it was still a bit too early to get changed into my pyjamas. That, and I couldn't remember where I had left them.
I was just about to sit down when there was a knock at my door.

"Come in."

The door opened slowly and T'Challa presented himself. I quickly stood up and crossed my arms across my chest. I smirked slightly at Wakanda's new King.