Chapter 4: Thaddeus Ross.

Start from the beginning

"Okay. That's enough."

I was stern, and at this stage this Secretary Ross was really starting to piss me off. He gave me a curious look, he obviously didn't know who I was. I plan on keeping it that way, if he knew the things I've done, where I've come from, he'd have me locked up quicker than I could say the word 'Avenger'. After a moment of exchanged glares, he continued.

"In the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

He then placed a thick document on the desk and passed it to Wanda.

"The Sokavia Accords. Approved by a hundred and seventeen countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

Everyone was in thought and occasionally exchanging looks with each other. Steve broke the silence that was eating us all up.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

I couldn't have agreed more. In the short time I've been with the Avengers we have saved a lot of people, we've fought off aliens and evil robots. I know there have been casualties along the way, but that was to be expected in this line of work.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of  thirty megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, it's in the middle ground."

I had just about enough of this guy, and he ain't gonna get away with talking to my friends like that. I don't care whether he's the Secretary of State or a school, he wasn't leaving without hearing it from me.

"First of all I'd like to say........"

Everyone turned to look at me. Steve's eyes warning me not to take it too far.

"How do you make the comparison between a thirty megaton nuke and a God and Scientist? Really it puzzles me deeply."

Ross went to speak but I stopped him by putting up my finger to hush him.

"I'm not finished. Secondly I would like to ask you how dare you come in here and not only call us 'dangerous', but offend us by saying, how did you put it, ' individuals who seem unconcerned about what they leave behind.'That was a bit harsh now. We have saved thousands of people who could be dead now if the Avengers hadn't been there to save them. Yes, I know that people have died because of our actions, but tell me something Secretary, how many people can your army save? How many people could your army save if they had to fight against what we've fought against? How many casualties would their be then?"

I was serious and my sudden outburst had surprised Ross.

"We were trained to fight against aliens and robots, people like us. Your army, they were trained to fight other humans. I think there's a slight difference there, Mr.Secretary. All I'm saying is you won't be seeing my signature on those accords."

And with that I finished. I must say I felt pretty good after it. Steve stared at me, his eyebrows raised at my rant. Secretary Ross said nothing, but I knew if I had a run in with him anytime soon, I'll put in a cell.

"And what if we come to a decision you don't like?"Nat asked.

It was a good question because I'm guessing the outcome won't allow us to be free citizens. Ross turned to look at us as he walked towards the door.

"You retire."

And then he was gone.
——————————————

We were all sitting around a coffee table in the kitchen. Tony started giving out about coffee granules in the sink, again. He then pulled up a picture of a young boy. Tony took a minute before he spoke.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree. 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig. An intel plan for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul. Before he parked it behind the desk. See the world, maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam. Sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass."

There was a pause and silence filled the room.

"If we can't accept limitations, we're boundless, we're no better than the bad guys."

Those words played over in my mind: 'No better than the bad guys.'
That's what I was, the bad guy. I've killed and destroyed. And now when I've finally joined a group of people who did the opposite, I find them falling apart.
A conversation had started between the Avengers, most of which I zoned out for. Until Nat speaking brought me out of it.

"Maybe Tony is right. If, we have one hand on the wheel we can still steer."

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss our ass a few years ago." Sam replied, shock and disagreement evident in his words.

"I'm just......monitoring. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win our trust back."

"I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me." Tony voiced, surprised at Nat's agreement, but she instantly regretting it.

"Oh, I want to take it back."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. I'm impressed by what you did. Okay, case closed. I win."

Steve's phone had gone off, when he read the text he was up and out of his seat in an instant.

"I have to go."

Was all he said.
——————————————