Undercover Alien

You stalked into the library, glancing suspiciously around. The only thing in the room, besides you, was a cat. You take out your recorder, planning on doing detective work.

"Day 137 of training. Today's lesson was about checking on everything, never letting one thing slip by you." You pause, just noticing that the cat wasn't moving. You turn around, still thinking about the cat. Unnoticed by you, the cat's head turned, like a statue, and a bookshelf silently swung outward. You hear a footstep, and spin around. Almost simultaneously, a gunshot cracked.

You look down at your chest, noting the sudden seeping of red liquid. You expect to experience pain, but all you feel is a tingling sensation. All at once, you feel a pull. The lab room you appear in has many white coats. There is a greenish light all around. The walls have bluish markings, as if it was written on.

"You have failed. If you had been on a recon mission, you would be captured by them. They would be taking you into a lab, trying to figure out how a human . . . .," Istunon Kibrinil, the oldest Lerendon, the race that captured me, said with disgust, "could work with such a superior race."

You roll your eyes, and snort, having heard this speech many times. You were captured, from this race called 'humans' at the eighth blooming of the Griest tree, or in human terms, three years old. You have lived with this blue, four armed, nonhumorous race since then. You have known no mother, because no mother wanted you. You grew up among the detectives, or 'spies' of the Lerendon, which means 'planet savers'. You grew up speaking into the recorder, wishing that one day, may it be soon or far, that you would meet other humans.

"Lexi!" Istunon screamed, or the equivalent of it in mind-talk, "you need to pay attention! Without these final lessons, your trip to human lands will be in vain!" He paused, realizing that he had given away where your recon mission was to be located. For days they had been teasing you, making you wonder where your first mission was to be. You had been training for many days, sweating water and blood, week after week. In three days, it will have been a year. You glance at yourself. You are disheveled, and had areas that weren't even connected in your armor. You begin to blush, and then stopped. The Lerendon weren't big fans of modesty.

You begin to notice that everyone is looking at you. Istunon must have asked a question. You nod, hoping that it was correct. He sighs, and glancing toward you notices how dirty you are. A fatherly look crosses his face, as he sends you off to the barracks.

About an hour later, you hear a knock on your door. Like the rest of your room, it was a rich purple. Before you could answer, the door came tumbling in.

"You're leaving," was shouted at you, and just like that, you appeared on the human planet.

As blackness covers you, you hear a voice, asking your name.

You wake up, in a strange dwelling. From the positioning of the sun, you guess it is in the afternoon. A short, fat scrawny thing comes over to your bed. It begins talking in your language, but with a very bad accent. It notices your puzzlement, and speaks slower.

"Where are you from?" it says slowly, but deliberately. "Can you speak English?"

What is English? You think, but you dare not say anything. You stare at the thing's mouth, wondering how she was speaking. At least you thought it was a she. She had big pectoral muscles. She began making signs with her hands, which you recognized.

Where are you from? She asked with her hands. Are you deaf? You pause, thinking about what to tell her. I don't remember where I am from, you sign. Yes, I am deaf. She smiles, and then begins signing, slowly at first, then when she sees you understanding, she goes faster. A wall of questions she asks you, and many more are coming as you ponder this. You pretend not to remember anything.

You will take you to a doctor, she signs. What is a doctor? You sign back. She replies, he is the one who takes care of the sick. You will tell him you speak sign language. She runs to a strange metal contraption, then turns and signs furiously. Can you stand up? Can you get in the car?

You nod, wondering what a 'car' was. Was it a metal beast that would transport us? She opened one of its four mouths, and pushed you into its belly. She pulled a strap of some fabric over your chest, and then pushed it into a slot. It made a loud CLICK sound. You pretend not to hear; because you wouldn't be able to if you were deaf.

She runs to the left side of the metal beast, and pulls another mouth open. You wonder if that is how it breathes. She puts a metal thing in a slot on the front area, and a rumbling noise begins. You pretend not to hear it. She presses a button, and the door in front of you lifts upward. She then presses some pedal with her foot, and the metal contraption shoots forward. You open your mouth, and your eyes go wide. She looks in a reflective piece of glass, and you can see her yellow teeth when she smiles. Her eyes twinkle, as though a million stars are moving, and then she looks towards a big black stretch of land. You can't see where it ends.

She twists the round black piece of the 'car,' and the 'car' suddenly swerves. It stops in front of a dull, grey dwelling. You wonder if this is a metaphor for the human's life. Most buildings on Mordack, your planet, tell the story of the inhabitants' life. This 'human' must be very boring.