Chapter 3*

I sigh and walk down the hall to my office. The three siblings find spots on the couch to nap while I sit in my chair, set my head on my arms, and begin to quietly sob. I then hear a light tap on my door, causing me to jolt upright and clean my face as quickly and efficiently as possible.

“Come in.” I say and Bentley walks in.

“Have you been crying?” He asks and I look at my reflection in the dark screen of my computer. You wouldn't be able to tell that I had been crying from my appearance. “I felt it. Your sadness, I mean. It racked through my body and I was pulled here. To you.”

“Yes I have been.” I say and he rushes to my side.

“Why? What’s wrong?” He asks taking my hand in his.

“My dragon Doma has-had a wife named Amara. She had those three,” I pause to look at the three dragons. “then a demonic bounty hunter named Annabell snuck into the compound and killed her. Amara was Bayley’s dragon and she blames the children for making Amara weak and vulnerable.”

“She’s grieving.” He tells me and I nod.

“Of course she is. Amara was her best friend. Doma is my best friend and I had a connection with his wife because we were always around each other. She was my friend.” I say as a sob runs through my body again. He pulls me to him and rubs my back. I push him away even though his physical presence helps me. “No you can’t do this.”

“Do what?” He asks taking a step back with a hurt look on his face.

“You can’t make me rely on you if you're just going to leave me.” I tell him.

“I’m not-" He begins but I interrupt him.

“You're not going to leave me? How can you say that when I know you know I can feel your doubt. You feel my pain right now but you don't know if you can fix it or if you WANT to try and fix it.” I say and stand up.

“Lanna. I want to be here for you. There will always be doubt in my mind but I don't doubt how I felt when I first saw you. All I have wanted since we first met is to hold you in my arms and protect you.” He holds my face in his hands and rests his forehead against mine. I feel a nice, warm feeling fill my body beginning at my forehead and cheeks. “I just want-no I need- you. Everything about you makes me melt at your feet.”

“I need you too.” I stutter as he pulls me into his chest.

“Lanna! We’ve got hunters all around us!” Damon yells running into my office. I stand up quickly and look out my bay window. Bentley stands next to me and gasps as he sees Kenna, a young dragon rider, being raised up by the collar of her shirt. Hunters are the men and women of the town near my property that don't like the fact that we are different. I open my window and jump out to face the man holding up the young girl.

“Put the girl down.” I say as Bentley and Damon join me in front of the hordes of men and women.

“This isn't a girl. It's a freak.” The man throws Kenna to the ground and puts his boot in the middle of her back. That's when I feel her snap. “Damon, she's coming out.”

“I’ve got you baby sister.” He says as my body goes limp.