Chapter 14: The Christmas Ball p.2

Start from the beginning

Dumbledore casually waved his hand, causing the huge curtains to part ways, revealing a roomy stage. James and Peter were already climbing the stairs. Remus gaily winked at surprised Emily and hurried after them. Sirius, for some reason, stayed in the hall with everyone.

James picked up the guitar, tossing the strap over his shoulder and carefully grasping the grip with his hand. Remus took a place just behind him, also picking up the guitar. And Peter sat down for the drums with sticks in his hands.

The third guitar appeared on stage with blond Eliza. Swaying slightly from alcohol, the girl climbed to Marauders and, cheekily winking at flushed Pettigrew, took her place.

"We are, of course, not the Beatles," James said cheerfully, watching Eliza skeptically, "but we can try to pretend."

Students were stunned and silent. Few of them knew muggle music, and so Marauders, in fact, introduced most of them to a new band.

The Fake Beatles started off with a cheerful and unobtrusive "Hello Little Girl" and if Lily Evans at first still doubted that this entire concert was dedicated to her, then with the next song her confidence acquired monolithic strength. "A Taste of Honey", performed by Marauders and Eliza, definitely found its listener.

James, cheerful, never ceasing to show off before the crowd and making funny faces, from time to time sent Evans a burning look.

After another verse Lily sighed wearily, avoiding looking into the eyes of her numerous giggling and winking girl-friends:

I dream of your first kiss and then
I feel upon my lips again
A taste of honey,
A taste of honey
Tasting much sweeter than wine.

Some looked pointedly at Lily as if asking: "First kiss? We don't know something?".

Then came "Help!", during which James became more insolent and confident. He wasn't ashamed to show his affection openly and entire song was sung for blushing Lily.

After "I'm a Loser", the Gryffindor only rolled her eyes, shaking her head, and crossed her arms over her chest, mockingly watching Potter. The final and very telling song "I'll get you" ended James's public love confession to Lily Evans.

Severus, stiff as a statue, looked at his enemy with hatred, knowing full well that he had no such charisma, no voice, no skill in playing the guitar. The only thing he couldn't understand was how James Potter managed to turn the only joyous moment in Snape's life into hell.

"Before we finish our magnificent performance," the roar of approving laughter rolled through the crowd, "I want to say something to an old... friend of mine."

James sighed, closing his eyes and gaining courage. Now the students looked at the stage star in surprise - uncertainty was not among known traits of James Potter.

At last, he announced loudly, "I publicly apologize to Severus Tobias Snape for all the abominable acts committed by me and Marauders. I understand that these words won't pay off all that he suffered through our fault, and certainly we won't become friends. But let the fight be fair and let the worthiest win."

Potter looked around the room with a confident winner look and stopped at amazed Lily.

A rumble of surprise swept through the hall: everyone was staring at James in amazement. Slytherins - with a slight skepticism, Gryffindors - with admiration.

Remus looked incredulously at James, trying to understand that this was: another trick or serious words. Sirius Black, with his arms crossed over his chest, froze with a stunned expression. His raised eyebrows seemed to be unable to regain their usual position.