fourteen

"And then after all of that, he said to stay away from Harry. It's all so confusing," I finish telling Brenda about Jake and Harry.

Brenda sits up straight, "So let me get this clear. They were all buddy buddy but it turns out that they both don't trust and hate each other?"

"Yeah, exactly that."

"That's so dumb. It reminds me of two two-faced girls in high school," She chuckles and then adds, "But even though Harry is a loser of a brother, he is the most trustworthy person you will ever meet. On the other hand, I don't know about Jake. I just met him and all, so I don't know that much to judge him."

"True," I giggle.

Brenda and I are in my apartment (technically Uncle Jason's but he is never home, so oh well, it is mine now) having a sleep over. We are laying in a bug bundle of blankets and pillows in our pajamas about to watch a movie. We keep pushing back watching the movie because we either can't find a movie, have to go to the bathroom, have to eat, or just start talking. It's been forty-five or so minutes and we still haven't even picked one out yet.

Brenda scrolls through all of the movies available with the gray remote. "How about The Vow?"

"Ugh, no. I just watched that and even if we wanted to watch it, I have the DVD," I exclaim.

She sighs while running her fingers through her hair. "Hayden, we have been trying to find a movie for forever now. Can I just go check the DVD's?"

I stand up motion her to the DVD cabinet as she follows. We go through all of the movies, throwing half of them onto the floor into a pile of movies that we may decide to watch.

"Hayden, what's this?" Brenda asks and points to a black box that was behind all of the movies.

I pick it up and examine it in my hands, "No clue. Probably just sometime of car starter of my Uncles, that's all."

She nods, agreeing. "So, The Titanic or The Notebook?"

"Neither. Romantic movies are not all we have, you know?" I laugh.

"Shush. You and Jake made me want a boyfriend at the fireworks on Saturday."

I immediately flush red like a tomatoe. "Stop it!" I smack her arm lightly.

"Not gonna happen! I think if Harry didn't stop you guys, you would've had sex on that field!"

"Yeah, that would not have happened and you and I both know it," I chuckled awkwardly.

She raises her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"Nothing. Just that I wouldn't have done that," I replied and then added, "At least not for the first time."

We both laughed and then Brenda looked at me with a surprised expression. "Wait. The first time? So you're a virgin?"

"Maybe."

Her glossy lips spread into a huge smile. "Oh my gosh, Hayden! You're a virgin. You have been dating that kid for forever and you are a virgin?"

"Yeah. What's the big deal?" I shyly ask.

"The big deal? The big deal is that Jake is hot as hell and you are absolutely gorgeous. If I were you, I'd just love to ride-"

"Enough. Stop; Stop; Stop." I interrupt whatever sexual thing she was about fantasize about with my boyfriend.

"Okay, okay. But when it happens, I need details."

"Whatever, fine."

We stare at each other for a few more moments before bursting into laughter.