Chapter 11

Anneth followed the trail of women as they made their way down the side of the mountain. The rest of the Rohirrim had left in the early hours, just as the sun was rising, but it did not wake Anneth; she did not sleep after Boromir left.

As they reached the bottom Anneth looked around for Eowyn, who was supposed to lead them back to Edoras. The healer hadn't seen her since the night before, but she hadn't worried; Eowyn had a mind of her own and could take care of herself. Now, however, was a different story.

"Aife!" She called out when she saw the older woman, who stopped loading a cart to turn to face her. "Where is Eowyn?"

"I thought she was up there with you," Aife said slowly, fear showing in her eyes. "You don't think-"

"I do," Anneth said, and then cursed. Eowyn had always dreamed of battle, and often times would sit and listen to Anneth tell Theodred the stories of famous Rohirric warriors. It would have been easy for her to slip by unnoticed in the fray that morning. Bema be with her, and don't let her do anything rash.

"What are we to do, Anneth? Without Eowyn, there's no one set to lead Edoras," Aife said, and several other women nodded.

"We could follow them," one woman, who Anneth recognized as Braeda, said. "I certainly don't see how I'll be able to simply sit back at Edoras and wait for word of my husband to come."

"Besides," said another girl, "I dare say they'll need the healers anyways."

As Anneth listened, she felt a fierce desire to go riding after the men as well. The girl was right, they would need more healers. But one problem remained.

"Someone needs to send word to Edoras, if we are to ride after them," she said, and Aife nodded.

"Aye, I'll do that. I'm too old to go running after a battle. Any who wish to return can leave with me," she said to the women, and a few stepped towards her.

Anneth nodded her thanks. "May your travels be swift and safe."

"And yours," Aife replied. "I expect to see you all return triumphant, at some point or the other." Mounting her horse, she turned to the group assembled behind her. "Let's be off!"

As they left, Anneth looked at the group of women before her. "There is a chance you could die, should things go ill. Or worse."

"Aye, Miss, I believe we know the risk, but Rohan is worth it," Braeda said, and the others nodded.

Anneth smiled. "Very well, then mount up! We must ride swiftly to make it to Gondor in time!"

~.~

The women could smell the battle long before they reached it, and the foul stench of death filled their senses until they at last reached the Pelennor Fields.

Anneth stopped short when the carnage came into view, and gasps and screams came from behind her as the other girls crested the hill. It truly was horrible; it seemed to be an endless sea of dead bodies, interrupted by the enormous carcasses of creatures Anneth could scarcely believe she was seeing.

Boromir could be down there, she thought, fear creeping into her heart. Or not there at all.

"What do we do, Miss?" One of the younger healers asked her, and she surveyed the field. Anneth couldn't hear any signs of fighting, and she prayed that meant all of Sauron's forces were either dead or gone.

"We must find our wounded - and that includes the Gondorians. Try to take care of their immediate wounds on the field, but if you must bring them to the Houses of Healing, see if you can find soldiers well enough to assist you. I am going to see if I can find someone to let them know we are here. Now go," she ordered, "but take care. Some of the enemy may still have energy enough to draw a sword."