Chapter 9

The next morning, Anneth woke to a commotion outside. Quickly throwing on a dress, she hurried out in time to see Gandalf charge out of the stalls on Shadowfax, followed by Merry chasing them on foot, Aragorn and Emryn behind him.

"Gandalf rides for Minas Tirith," a voice said from behind her, and she turned to see Boromir watching them leave.

"What for?" She asked, and Boromir lowered his head.

"While he was looking into the Palantir, Pippin saw Minas Tirith in flames. Gandalf fears that Pippin saw Sauron's plans, so he goes now to warn them, and he is taking Pippin with him," Boromir replied, and Anneth didn't miss the bitterness in his voice.

"You wished to have gone in his place," she stated, and Boromir looked up at her and nodded.
"It has been almost two years since I have been home, Anneth. I miss my city, my people, and my brother. Faramir had plans to cleanse the darkness out of Ithilien, and I fear that he may not be alive. I fear my father would not care either way."

Anneth took his hand in hers, rubbing circles on it with her thumb. "There is a reason Gandalf did not want you to go, Boromir. He is wise, and can see things we cannot. Your company will have need of you, should we ride into battle again. Do not despair."

Boromir lowered his head, feeling his frustrations ease at her voice and touch. "You are right, I should have hope. Forgive my dark thoughts, Anneth."

"They are always forgiven, Boromir," she replied, and they stood in silence as they watched the White Rider until he disappeared over the horizon.

~.~

I am going to need a bigger cart, Anneth thought to herself as she loaded hers, precariously stacking baskets and crates on top of one another. Gaeron stood next to it, watching her as he crunched on an apple.

Word had come from Meduseld that the beacons were lit, and all of Edoras was preparing to ride out. Five had already come to her with injuries caused by the bustle, and several more with various requests for herbs and bandages.

"You ride with us?" Boromir asked when he saw her loading, and he quickly moved to help.

"Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men, and a healer is always needed," she replied.

"Well, I am glad I won't have to farewell you quite so soon," Boromir said, winking when she looked at him. They hadn't had a moment like they did the first night, but here and there, when time allowed, they had enjoyed each other's company slightly more than was appropriate.

Anneth hadn't voiced it, but she didn't want Boromir to ride off to another battle. She feared losing him as she lost Theodred, but she knew his honor and duty would not allow him to even consider staying. She could only hope he wouldn't fall, and that she would be able to see him soon afterwards.

As they rode out, Anneth looked back at the Golden Hall, her healing house, the winding paths that criss-crossed the hill, Theodred's tomb, and she was struck by a sudden feeling that she wouldn't see this city again for a very long time. This unsettled her, and she faced forward again, trying to shake the feeling. Nothing could keep me from returning; I will be coming back after the men ride out from Dunharrow in a few days, hardly a long time. Yet the unease remained, and it was a long while before she was able to relax again.