--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You were..... out picking berries with the Prince when a bear attacked you?" The King asked.

"Yes, your majesty. His highness, Prince Caspian said he knew a wonderful spot to pick such luscious berries that would suit the royal family with their rich tastes; but, your majesties, I take full blame,for staying out too long and worrying you about your son, as the Prince only told me to stay at the border. I, being the maid that I am, wandered a bit too far looking for berries and that's when a bear found me. If not for his majesty, I would most likely be dead, as he saved me from the beast," Farah spoke, staring at the floor.

Farah was currently in the throne room with all of the royals surrounding her. Including Amara, much to Farah's distaste. Once they had arrived back, Caspian was ushered into the palace with a warm welcome and a tiny scolding. Farah, on the other hand, had to face much worse. So, here she was, bowing as low as she could, keeping her gaze on the floor as she told the royals her side of the story.

"Is this true?" The Queen spoke up. Although Farah couldn't see the royals well, she knew that this question was for Caspian. The maid, though she knew Caspian hopefully wouldn't bail her out, had sweat running down her dark face. Most of it was due to the fact that if Caspian didn't help her out, she would be stuck with a terrible punishment, but still, some of it was because of how hard it was to stay in such a low bowing position for so long. After what seemed to be hours of waiting, Farah heard Caspian speak up.

"Yes, mother."

"Then rise, miss Farah, and let us find a suitable punishment for your actions."

"But, mother, she-"

"Caspian," Farah heard the Queen speak over her son, clearly becoming agitated. "This girl, although in her right mind, has disobeyed orders. She was told herself that if she wished to leave, then she would need to ask the royals. She also, under no circumstances, was allowed to bring the Prince and soon to be Crowned King of Allenia with her. Do you know what could've happened to you?" The Queen took in a deep breath before continuing, this time addressing Farah. "If this was your first time acting out against our rules the punishment would be fair, but as you have before, we much drill this into your brain. One more slip in the road and you're gone, out on the streets. We wish we could be more considerate, miss Farah, but this has happened far too many times. Therefore, as your actions-" The Queen suddenly stopped, and Farah looked up from where she was standing.

Amara was now talking to the Queen, and a lump formed in Farah's throat, as she knew this couldn't turn out good. If Farah had any hopes of not being hurt and put into hard labor, all of those hopes were now gone as the Queen nodded to whatever Amara had said. The Princess looked up with a smug expression, shooting a glare in Farah's direction, making her head shoot back down to the ground again.

"Princess Amara has just made a very interesting suggestion, and in my eyes it appears to make sense for these.... actions of yours, miss Farah. Be glad that the Prince's fiancee has such a kind heart, as you are not to face brutal consequences, but these will be very long and laborious tasks. First, you will be cleaning all of the clothes of the palace on your own, as Princess Amara believes the others who have done nothing wrong deserve a break from their tasks for a little while; this time span of punishment being four days, and all the while you are working off your punishment you will have to still deal with your normal chores, with no pay raise. Your breaks will also be shortened, as the Princess believes that if you have a shorter break time you will be unable to escape and roam off, which I agree with. She also believes that you should sleep in the dungeons, but, as I am feeling....kinder than usual today, you will still sleep with the other maids. And, if you are seen ever slacking off in these four days you will be punished with either more work that will need to be done, or with physical punishments. Am I clear Miss Farah?"

"Mother, I don't believe that-"

"Caspian, I don't believe your name is Farah. I am dealing with the maid right now and I don't want another problem, understood?"

"Yes, mother," Caspian said, quietly. Farah felt tears forming in her eyes, but as much as she held them back they refused to go away. She felt angry for Amara's harshness and cruelness towards her. Her! She had never done anything wrong to Amara, so why was she acting to unkind to Farah? Or maybe this was her good side, and if so, she wished Caspian luck when they got married. Married. Those two were getting married. How horrible. Maybe this was why she was crying, though, because of how she knew Caspian would never be able to be with her. Or was it the fact that the royals showed no mercy to a commoner such as her. A commoner who was forced into these things through birth, and couldn't ever change their status unless they married, for women at least. Was it her fault that she longed to have fun? To be ambitious? To want to feel happy? To want to make others feel happy? To fall in love?

Or was it love, was love the problem. If there was no such thing as love, maybe she wouldn't be in this position right now. Maybe she would be a regular maid who was as normal as they came; but perhaps it was all of those feelings bundled together that were making her want to scream at Amara for proposing such a punishment. Maybe that was why she wanted to scream at the Queen also, for cutting off Caspian, and for agreeing to such a plan. Maybe that was why she wanted to hide away and cry, but alas she couldn't, for she was here right now, and if she left without being dismissed, she'd get far worse punishment than cleaning dirty clothes.

"Farah?" The Queen spoke up. "I would like an answer."

Farah took a shaky breath, still staring at the ground. She should've shouted, she should've screamed, she should've told them she was washing no clothes, as she had not injured and hurt the Prince, besides, who even missed them anyways? It wasn't like it was daytime and they were needed that that time. She clenched her fists, thinking of all the other things she could shout out. She could tell the royals what a horrible person Amara was, and what she had done to Caspian, but who would believe her, a peasant girl?No, no way. So, she swallowed all of her anger, and tried to act like she wasn't dying on the inside.

"I understand you're majesty," Farah spoke. She had tried her hardest to sound at least semi-normal, but her voice shook; with what? She did not know. Anger? Fear? Despair?

But somehow, behind all of that, there was heartbreak. Farah didn't know why, but she knew it was there. It could be because she knew Caspian could never love her, and that hurt her deep down, for even if he did, he wouldn't be allowed to be with her; but maybe it was because she knew Caspian cared for her, and she somehow felt that he too was trying to overcome challenges to be with her.

"You are dismissed, miss Farah, you're punishment begins tonight," Farah heard the Queen say.

She suddenly found herself leaving the throne room at a hurried pace as all of the tears she was holding back flooded out, like a never-ending waterfall of defeat.