p r o l o g u e

prologue - in which scott unwillingly goes to a party

Sometime in March of 1998...

Scott Lang wished that he wasn't in a cramped college dorm filled with loud music and drunk students. He would rather be working on an important essay due the next day, but his friend had dragged him to yet another pointless weekend party. Even though he liked to have fun, Scott wanted to graduate university with at least decent grades. He sighed internally. Too bad he was also a bit of a people pleaser.

His friend was nowhere in sight, so the college senior headed over to a quieter corner. He could still feel the booming music vibrate along the floor, and he cringed slightly at the bad beats. The other students didn't seem to care though as they danced away fervently.

"Hey," he heard someone say. He turned and saw an Asian student sitting on a couch. She was wearing jeans, a thin cardigan, and a plain white shirt.

"Talking to me?" he joked.

"Who else would I be talking to?" she rolled her eyes.

"Well, I am a pretty nice guy to be talking to," he winked. She raised an eyebrow.

"Really?"

"Yeah, just ask my parole officer!" She gave him a look. "Ok, well apparently I'm not a funny guy." He grinned when she laughed.

"I can tell," she said. Scott noticed the book in her hand.

"Why're you reading at such a rad party?" he teased, sitting next to her. She didn't seem to mind and laughed instead.

"That's a good question," she answered.

"Good book?" he pointed to the cover. He recognized it vaguely from a Literature class he took in the past.

"It's meh," she shrugged and crossed her legs, facing him. "So how come you're not dancing at the supposedly rad party?"

"I don't really want to be here," he said, looking around. "My friend dragged me over here."

"Sucks to suck," she said. He grinned.

"How come you're here?"

"This, unfortunately, is my dorm," she said. He laughed.

"Really? Damn! Sucks to suck."

"Stop stealing my lines. And yep," she said, cracking another grin. "My roommate is terrible. All I wanted was a quiet afternoon, but no, no she had to have a party for the weekend." The girl rolled her eyes.

"Which one is she?" he asked. She pointed to another Asian girl dancing with a beer bottle in her hand.

"She looks like she's having a great time," he remarked.

"Probably," she laughed again. There was a pause.

"Want to go outside? It's way cooler than this stuffy room," Scott pointed to the door. The girl smirked and stood up.

"This stuffy room is my stuffy room, bud. But sure, why not?" she shrugged. The pair went towards the door, navigating through staggering dancers, neon lights, and crushed Solo cups.

Once outside in the dorm field, the girl looked at Scott, book still in hand. He gazed at the sky.

"Do you do this to girls a lot?"

"Nah," he said. He looked back at her. They found a metal bench and sat down in the soothing breeze. "I'm too socially awkward, if we're being honest." She laughed.

"You don't seem like it," she said.

"I'm majoring in engineering, so that should say something."

"I retract my statement," she said. "You really are a nerd."

"Hey!" he laughed. "Ok, fine, I lead myself into that."

"You sure did," she grinned.

"So what are you majoring in?" asked Scott.

"I was in nursing, but then I switched to business," she said.

"That's a big switch," he said, eyebrows raised.

"I don't even know if I want to do business though," she sighed. "College is hard."

"I agree."

"I still have to take chem though, which is stupid," she said, running a hand through her long hair.

"Chem is fun!" he said.

"Oh please," she rolled her eyes. "You're just a nerd!"

"Well, this nerd has a name," he said.

"And it is..."

"I'm Scott Lang," he reached out his hand. She shook it with a smile. "Your's?"

"Mira Lam, nice to meet you."

A/N

LMAO I MISS MIRA SO MUCH OMG

OK ANYWAYS

HOPE YOU ENJOYED