[uno]

[uno]

“Lacey, darling,” My mother knocked on the door softly before opening it and giving me a warm smile. “Your father got back from the Alpha call he was on and he wants to tell us something.”

I nodded, standing up and placing my palette on the desk. I wiped my dirty hands on the apron and turned to my mother. She was looking at my painting carefully, her light blue eyes scanning it as if she searched for something.

“I really like the colour you added there,” she pointed to an old man, sitting on a wooden bench, “It gives him more of a realistic feel.”

I grinned in return, stepping back to admire my art and said, “Thanks, ma.” I was no Frida Kahlo, but my painting was pretty decent. At least it was better than the average stick figures. “So does dad want to talk now?”

Mom nodded, linking her arm with mine and pulled me out of the attic. “Yeah; he says it’s important and that he wants us to be informed from him and not some other wolf.”

We walked down the wooden steps, just making small talk about nothing in particular and a sudden smile grazed her lips as my father came into view. Sometimes I forgot how amazing a bond between mates was.

The love my parents had for each other was indescribable. The way they stared at each other as if they were the only people in the world was beautiful. I wanted something like that whenever I found my mate.

“Hi, pumpkin,” Dad hugged me tightly, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead and motioned for us to sit down on the couch.

Derek, my father’s Beta waved our way politely before sharing an unspoken message between him and my father and then left. He never said much, he was more of a violence kind of guy. He’d rather rip your intestines out than interrogate you if you seemed a threat.

“So what was it that you wanted to talk to us about, hunny?” Mom placed her hand over my dad’s, caressing his fingers lovingly.

Dad smiled, entwining their fingers together and said, “As you know I was called because the Scouts found something near our boundaries.” We nodded, “I just wanted to let you guys know that the wolf will be staying with us.”

My mom automatically frowned. “Is he or she staying here with us or the pack in general?”

Dad shook his head, patting her hand in comfort and said, “It’s a ‘he’ and he’ll be staying with us.”

I raised my eyebrows in interest. My father never let anyone sleep in the Alpha house; not even my best friends for a sleep-over. So whoever this person was must’ve been important. “Why is he staying with us?”

“He’s in a pretty rough shape; boy can’t even wake up. It’s customary to help any wounded wolf or human near your lands and I wasn’t going to let him rot to his death. I can sense his Wolf and he’s pretty strong, but I can’t get a clear connection with him.”

I frowned. I was going to eventually be Luna; it was in my blood, which also meant that I felt somewhat protective of my pack. “Is he a threat?”

“No,” Dad shook his head, “I’m telling you, the guy won’t be able to get up on his own for months. Derek will be near if anything happens and we have fighters outside his room.” He turned to my mom, “Linda, do you think you can take a look at him? You can determine whether he’ll make it through the night or not.”

Mom nodded and I felt my Wolf buzzing with excitement. Anything that my mom had to do for Luna duties, I had learned. But I had never seen my mom in this kind of action. I learned the basics; cooking, cleaning, patience, etc. but we had just skimmed through the “nursing” part.