The Girl in the Motel

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" The voice spoke again. The person was directly behind him on the other side of the door. He held in a scream, keeping the room deathly silent.

"Hey Jack, are you okay??" Another voice broke the silence. He looked down to see Jan's face on his phone looking back at him. He pressed his body against the door, hoping to block the voice from getting any closer. He held the phone to his face and spoke.

"Yeah, still trying to find that key..." He said, looking to his side. He heard more footsteps from behind him as the voice ran from the door. He sighed.

"You look pretty shaken. Want us to come help?" Jan asked, looking concerningly at Jack's face.

"No, no, no, no," He said, more aggressively than he had intended, "I can do this alone."

"You sure?" She raised one eyebrow at him, still sensing his concern, "if it's too dangerous we can go find another place to film."

"No, it's fine. The fans are counting on me... ahem, us.... to explore this place," Jack responded. He pressed his ear against the door again, listening for the footsteps which had stopped only a moment ago. In the distant, he heard a faint whisper, though he couldn't make out what had been said. And then, a door closed.

"I just say a person run out from the side of the building into the forest. Are you sure it's okay?" Jan said, worry filling her own voice.

"Yeah, I just scared a homeless lady out of here. It's clear now."

"Jack, I know your fans have wanted you to explore this area for years, but I don't want you or us to die here," Jan sounded really worried right now.

"It'll be fine, Jan. If you don't want to help, then you can stay out in that car. I need to do this for the fans, and I can do it myself."

"What's gotten into you lately, Jack?" Jan started, but was quickly interrupted by Ben.

"Jan, let's not get into this now. Let's just go film the video and then we can sort this out," Ben said, jumping into the camera's view.

"Yeah, also I just got us into the motel." Jack slipped his hand down, and grabbed the doorknob, opening the door to reveal a once-glorious courtyard. The rooms of the motel all faced the courtyard, create a scene that was actually kind of beautiful.

"Okay, we'll be there in a minute," Ben said, hanging up the call before Jan and Jack could argue any more.

"Holy shit," Jack exclaimed as he put his phone down. He was still shaking from the events only moments in the past, but he had a new bode of confidence as his partners were on their way. He smiled at the thought, but shook it off. Work still had to be done, his fans still had to be pleased.

He ran back to the lobby, catching a glimpse of Ben and Jan walking towards the entrance. He grabbed his backpack, and waited for them at the corroded metal doors.

"Look at this place!" Ben exclaimed, looking inside the lobby towards the two stone girls. He had his own camera in his left hand, and a military grade flashlight in his right. He walked inside, leaving Jack and Jan behind to snap a picture of the stone figures.

"Hey," Jack said to Jan, who looked both angered and fearful.

"Hey," she said back, walking inside without looking back towards Jack. He looked down at the cracked sidewalk, then followed her in.

"Be careful, Ben. I've still got a bad feeling about this place," Jan said, taking her own camera out of her backpack which she had set in the same spot Jack set his.

"You're like a kid!" Jack commented as Ben stared at the statues, reaching up to their shoulders in an attempt to climb the figures. As he said that, Ben stopped and looked back at him.