Crumbling Time (Epilogue)

Start from the beginning

But when I turned around, it wasn't my mom or dad. It was Cam. He was leaning on my doorway with a smirk on his face. With a quick glance at the clock, I deducted that school had just ended. Cam must've came directly from there to see me. If I hadn't have been so humiliated that would've made me really happy.

"Amazing," he said, still clapping. "Just fantastic."

My face became even redder-from embarrassment. "Hey," I squeaked.

He stood up straight, his arms spread out. "That's it? That's all I get? Just a little 'hey?' What kind of greeting is that to your boyfriend?"

I smiled, all embarrassment gone. I ran to him, threw my arms around his neck, my legs around his torso, and planted a huge kiss on his mouth.

A chuckle erupted from his throat as our lips separated. "That's more like it." He smiled and tightened his grip around me, holding me even closer. "How's your day been?"

"It's much better now, thanks," I replied, breaking eye contact and placing my feet back on the floor.

He kissed me again, but as he drew me closer, a little jolt of pain shot through my left side.

I pulled away hastily. "Ow," I breathed.

"You okay?" he asked uneasily. "Is it your wound?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but I'm fine."

Either way, he led me over to my bed and made me sit down. "You have to relax," he said.

"Cam," I said. "It's been almost a week since I was shot."

"Exactly. That's not nearly enough time for you to be okay. They shouldn't have let you out yet."

I rolled my eyes. "Honey, your worries are ill fed."

"That may be true, but it's my job to worry about you."

"No, that would be my mom's job. Now shut up." I grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him into a kiss.

When we separated, Cam weaseled his way behind me and leaned against the pillows and headboard. He wrapped his arms around me and made me-not that I was refusing of course-lean on his chest.

For most of the day, we just talked. There was no solid subject. We basically talked about school, and other normal subjects, until Cam brought up a completely different topic.

"So," he said. "Have you thought any about your parents? Your real parents?"

I was taken off guard. "Um, a little."

"Are you going to try to find them, like your mom thought?"

"I might. I mean, I'm happy with the parents I have-they're the only ones I've ever known. But it would be cool to know who they really were, and what my powers really are."

He kissed my neck. "I'll come with you if you ever want to go."

Like I had ever doubted that. "If we get caught," I joked. "My mom would never allow you within twenty miles of me."

"Then maybe I should go earn her trust now." He unwrapped his arms from around me and went to stand up.

"You're not going anywhere." I grabbed him before he could get too far and wrapped his arms around me again.

He chuckled. "Fine with me." He kissed my neck again. "I could stay here until the end of time." He brushed my hair over my shoulder so the rest of my neck was revealed. He slowly kissed my neck several more times. As I was accustomed to now, my heart began thumping against my chest.