Crumbling Time (Chap. 14)

This is seriously getting closer to the end. Thanks for getting this far! And this chapter is probably my favorite. It's obvious why once you read it.

Enjoy!

Comment/vote/fan!

___________________

14. Survival of the...What?

When I regained consciousness, I saw white all around me.

Wait, was I dead?

The white was really from a hospital room's walls, and the sheets that covered my hospital gown dressed body.

"Hey," a male voice breathed softly. "Rise and shine."

I blinked and focused on Cam's eyes. He was sitting in a plastic chair on my right.

"How...do...you...feel?" he asked gently.

I was confused. "Why are you talking like that?"

"Like...what?" he asked, becoming confused himself. He tightened his grip on my hand, which he had been holding the whole time.

"Slowly, and, weird," I replied.

"You were...having...that...freeze-unfreeze...problem."

I blinked a few more times, realizing that I had been. But now, he just seemed to be talking slowly and obnoxiously, like I was five or something. I didn't have a headache for once.

"I'm fine," I told him.

"No headache?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Try to...freeze...time," he ordered.

I tried-and succeeded! A nurse was just passing my doorway, and she stopped in her tracks, one foot halfway in the air.

Cam rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb-which sent a thrilled spark up my arm. He seemed to still be immune to my power-when it was working properly, that is. "You're good now. You can understand me? I don't need to hesitate anymore?" A smile brightened his features.

I shook my head. "Nope. Everything's normal."

"So, how do you feel?"

I smiled. "Pretty good."

He nodded. "That's a good thing."

I realized I didn't know why. "What happened?"

His smile faded and he shifted his gaze to my left shoulder.

I looked there as well, and noticed my left arm was in a sling, and my shoulder had gauze taped on it, stained where blood-my blood-had seeped through. I didn't feel any pain, but that was probably because whatever doctor was treating me was most likely giving me morphine and other medicines.

"You were shot," Cam explained. "You don't remember?"

I leaned my head back on my pillow and thought. I vaguely remembered being in Carnell's laboratory. Then it did come back to me. Carnell raising a gun, shooting, and the pain I felt go through me.

"I remember," I replied softly.

"The gun shot must have solved your problems."

"If only it could have been solved a safer way," I mumbled.

"I wish." He rubbed my hand some more.

"What happened to Carnell?" I asked after a small pause.

"After calling an ambulance, I beat the shit out of him for shooting you."

I gaped at him. "You did what?"