Working with the voice

2 weeks later

3rd person POV

Dakota yawned as she pulled in and parked at the station. Her limbs felt heavy as she got out and grabbed her backpack from the back seat. She slowly made her way inside, dropping her bag in the living area by the wall and clocked in before heading into the kitchen. She was the last one to get to work, even though she was still a few minutes early. From the looks of it everyone from C shift had already left.

"Hey Dakota." Jill, the paramedic for C shift, spoke up drawing everyone's attention away from their conversations. Dakota nodded to her as she sat down at the table.

"You should be fully stocked. Yesterday was pretty quiet." Jill said as she picked up her bags and headed out the door. Dakota just nodded, trying to suppress a yawn as she stretched.

"Man, you look awful!" Scot said sipping his coffee.

"Thanks for the compliment." Dakota said sarcastically. Dylan reached over her shoulder and handed her a glass of coke. "Here." Dakota smiled and thanked him as she tried to stand up, but Dylan stopped her. "The truck can wait a minute for you to wake up more." Dakota smiled, as Dylan continued. "Besides you have a hard enough time on a good day keeping up with me!" Dylan said as he jumped back out of her line of reach. Dakota quickly tipped the glass up and swallowed the rest of the contents, before going after Dylan, who was standing by the door to the bay.

"Come on let's get the truck checked off." She said, poking him in the ribs as she went out the door.

Dakotas POV

I heard Dylan doing the engine and mechanical checks, as I did equipment check offs. We ignored each other as we worked. I was almost done when Dylan climbed in the back of the truck with me.

"How many bags of Ringers do we have?" I asked just as he opened his mouth to say something.

Dylan turned around and opened the cupboard and counted the bags for me, as I finished checking off the airway equipment.

"Five Ringers." Dylan said.

"Okay." I nodded as I finished making my list. Dylan looked like he was about to ask me something again, so I quickly stood and climbed out of the truck. Dylan followed me to the supply closet and watched as I started grabbing the things that were on the list, and taking them when I handed them to him.

He didn't say anything as we finished gathering the supplies we needed and restocked the truck.

"Kota h..." Dylan started but I interrupted him.

"Do we have enough large gloves on the truck for you?" He sighed and grabbed my shoulders forcing me to look at him.

"Yes. There are enough gloves on the truck for both of us. Now..." he said guiding me to the bench beside the monitor, and sitting on the bench seat across from me.

"...stop trying to dodge the question. What did the psychologist say?" We stared quietly at each other for a minute or so. Neither one of us saying anything. Finally, I sighed.

"Let's go talk to the others. That way I don't have to tell the same story more than once." Dylan agreed and we headed into the day room where everyone was sitting. Dylan and I sat down on the couch and I motioned for everyone's attention.

"As you all know about two weeks ago I started hearing voices. I had my first doctor's appointment with Dr. Norton yesterday." All eyes were on me as I spoke, some filled with curiosity, but most filled with worry.