Chapter One

It had been a slow day at the office, which suited me just fine. I was tired of all the he said she said nonsense of the custody investigations and the monotony of the affair cases. It's not like it matters what I say. These people didn't give a crap what I had to say anyways. All they wanted was for me to confirm what they already believed. No one tells you going into this line of work, just how boring it can be. You hear these fantastical stories of PI's but the difference of dream versus reality can be startling. I'd give anything to go on some movie worthy noir adventure but here I am, sat back in my chair and not a hint as to where in the world I'm heading or what I'm doing with my life.

The sound of an engine approached my office. Nothing out of the ordinary. The oddity was the engine cutting off. No one showed up without an appointment. Why would they? Hell, some people don't even care enough to come down with an appointment. I leaned over in my old leather chair, lifting a blind to peak out at the unexpected visitor. I caught a glimpse of a chrome black SUV. The Florida sun's glare left me at a loss as to the identity of my guest. There was several moments of silence before I heard the creaking of the front door being opened hesitantly. The quiet chatter of my secretary speaking with the unknown guest. A moment later my door was opened as my secretary, Marie, stepped into the room.

"Sir, there's a man here to see you." She said with slight curiosity. There tone in her voice was slightly accusatory as if I had invited him without notifying get. "Be a doll, Marie and send him in." I said giving her a soft smile. She was a sweet girl. Came to work for me right out of college. I guess sociology wasn't a very lucrative degree choice and she needed to pay off her student loans. She sauntered off and in stepped a young man, who looked far to over worked for his age. There were dark bags under his eyes and he had a slightly unkempt goatee. All things considered he was still rather handsome and, under different circumstances, I may have asked him out for coffee.

I stood up from my chair and motioned at the one in front of my desk. He took his seat and I made my way to the shelves behind my desk, on which I had a bottle of vodka and two glasses. I set one at my side of the desk and motioned towards him with the other still in my hand. He nodded softly, fidgeting with his hands in his lap. I poured a glass for each of us and returned to my seat. I took a sip and say the glass gently back in my desk. "So, I'm guessing you didn't come here for a drink. What did you want." I asked, skipping all the smalltalk bullshit. He took a deep breath and looked me in the eyes. "Someone killed my sister and I want you to find who did it."