Protected

Chapter 1

I still couldn't shake off that dream state I was feeling even as my body rattled against the wall of the plane. My eyes were bloodshot from all the tears I've been shedding and my hair was a tangled mess yet I couldn't care less about the looks people have been shooting towards me. I was too numb to feel anything.

"We are now approaching Augusta Regional Airport. Please place your tray in its normal position and straighten up your chairs."

I didn't bother suppressing my groans upon hearing those words. I was losing everything-scratch that, I have lost everything in just one week. My father, my sisters, my home, my identity. As I closed my eyes, I could still smell the bloodbath and I could still see their bodies mutilated in my own house. These images kept replaying in an endless loop in my mind, rendering me insomniac for the past 5 days. Who in their right

mind would sleep when their family was murdered viciously and they were the only witness? My hands trembled as I recalled cradling my father's body in my lap, his blood soaking my dress. Fresh tears that I didn't know I was still capable of producing ran down my cheeks at the images of my sisters' naked bodies slashed on various places, their eyes glassy and mouth agape as if pleading for their lives.

I was shook out of my thoughts when the plane landed rather roughly, jolting me out of my seat. The harsh shrieking of the tires reminded me of the moment I screamed when I stumbled upon my father lying in his own pool of blood, gasping for air. Not too long after that, I heard footsteps approaching the master bedroom where I found them in. Panicking, I quickly shut myself inside a cupboard, praying that I wouldn't be their next victim.

From the little crack between the doors, I saw two men wearing ski masks over their heads, one blue and one red. Blue pulled Dad roughly by the hair and whispered something in his ear that made Dad begged shamelessly. The next thing I know, Blue nodded to Red and he handed him an axe. Soon, the room was filled with Dad's screams. I nearly bit my tongue off to stop myself from myself from wailing. I pressed my fists to my mouth in order to muffle my sobs.

"Welcome to Augusta Regional Airport. Please do not take off your seatbelts until the plane has safely parked. Thank you for flying with American Airlines."

My numb hands unbuckled the metal flaps and I reached for my luggage in the overhead compartment. As I staggered into the airport for the first time, the wave of emotions washing over me nearly buckled me to my knees. Here I was, all alone in a strange airport some 2675 miles away from home. I flopped down on a cold metal bench while waiting for my new family to pick me up. I was placed under the Witness Protection Program to avoid being the next victim. They relocated me to a small town in Maine under the care of complete strangers.

"Adele, sweetheart? Is that you?"

My gaze shot up to see a rather plump woman wrapped up in a thick woolen coat smiling down at me. My name was Allyson, now Adele. The woman with lemon-tainted hair was now my new aunt, smiling ever so softly at me. With shaky knees, I hauled to my feet and greeted Mary Anne.

"Hi, Mrs. Dehart," I croaked out. My voice sounded like a sad symphony of zephyr, so alien to my ears.

"Oh sweetie, you can call me Mary Anne," she chimed, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, "Come, let's go to the car. We're so excited to have you in our care."

I trailed behind her with my luggage dragging behind me. As soon as I stepped outside, a wave of freezing air hit me instantly causing shivers to run down my spine. Today was late January yet the surrounding chilled me down to my bones. I pulled my windbreaker tighter around my body as I fastened my steps to catch up with the woman I now have to call Aunt.